The Mediterranean diet is extremely trendy right now, but with my mom from Syria and my dad from Turkey, the Mediterranean diet is the only diet I’ve grown up with. Many applaud this diet because it’s full of ingredients that have tons of health benefits – one being tahini.
Now, what is tahini exactly? Besides having a funny name (pronounced ta-hee-nee), tahini is sesame seed butter. Think peanut butter, but instead of being made of peanuts, it’s made of sesame seeds. Intrigued? Thought so.
Tahini has a smooth, creamy texture and is more on the savory side than the sweet side. It can be enjoyed by itself, but I like it best in dressings, on toast, and even in cookies. Below are some awesome recipes that will make you go out and buy a jar of tahini for yourself.
1. Tahini, Banana, and Cinnamon Toast
This toast combines the creamy texture of tahini, the sweetness of banana, and the spice of cinnamon all-in-one. This will be your new go-to breakfast, lunch, or snack. Recipe here.
2. Fruit Salad with Orange-Cinnamon Spiced Tahini Sauce
3. Tahini Morning Harvest Muffins
The secret ingredient in these muffins are – surprise – tahini. Made with Soom Foods Tahini, these will be perfect for when you’re running late to class and need to have a quick breakfast. Recipe here.
4. Lemon Tahini Farro Salad with Kale
5. Caramelized Onion Hummus
6. BLT with Tahini Sauce
Want to transform that ordinary BLT into a BLT of champions? Add this tahini sauce. You can thank us later. Recipe here.
7. Salted Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
8. Sesame Sweet Potato Noodles
Because tahini is made from sesame seeds, it’s not just limited to Mediterranean-style dishes. These sesame sweet potato noodles are proof of that. Recipe here.
9. Vegan Grilled Avocado Stuffed with Chickpeas and Tahini
10. Salted Caramel Tahini Cups
11. Chocolate & Tahini Quinoa Energy Bites
These babies only have five ingredients. Yup, five. Don’t believe me? Make them for yourself. Recipe here.
12. Tahini Vanilla Milkshake Smoothie
13. Homemade Falafel with Tahini Sauce
I know, I know. You’re scrolling through this and wondering: How could there be no falafel recipe? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Recipe here.
14. Tahini Porridge with Roasted Bananas & Toasted Almonds
Don’t be intimidated by how beautiful this breakfast porridge is – it’s pretty easy to make. And roasted bananas? Yes, please. Recipe here.
15. No-Churn Tahini Cardamom Ice Cream
16. Tahini Rice Krispie Treats
These rice Krispies don’t use any marshmallows, but don’t freak out – they still taste amazing. The tahini and sesame seeds add the perfect crunch, too. Recipe here.