What do you do when there are hours until your next meal and you hear your stomach crawling? You pull out some of these healthy, vegan, and non-processed snacks. You can carry them around to class to prevent you from feeling hangry and making you reach for something unhealthy later.

Also, foods that are higher in fiber or protein leave you satisfied for longer—so these are a win-win.

Dry Cereal

sweet, cereal, pasta, chocolate, milk
Grace Ling

These perfect snack-sized bites don’t always have to always be eaten with milk. Here are some creative ways to eat cereal without milk.  

Popcorn

sweet, cream
Grace Ling

This light, fluffy, and crunchy snack is perfect to carry around. Here’s how to make DIY microwave popcorn

DIY Snack Mixes and Granola Bars

meat, vegetable
Grace Ling

If you like variety in your snacks and don’t like added oil or sugar in most store-bought ones, you can try making your own non-processed mix or use some of these recipes of snack mixes and granola bars.

Rice Cakes 

Try adding almond butter, dried fruit, or coconut as toppings. Here are some more ways to spice up that rice cake.

Vegetables

Vegetables with hummus or peanut butter make a tasty, healthy, and filling snack. Think ants on a log back from those preschool days. Try dipping carrots, celery, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, or sugar snap peas. You can also try making a mason jar salad

vegetable
Grace Ling

However, if you’re not a big fan of vegetables, here are some life hacks to sneak them into your day.

Homemade Baked Chips

vegetable, herb, kale, broccoli, cabbage
Alex Tom

If you’re not a fan of the taste of vegetables and like chips, but also like to feel healthy, you can try making non-processed chips out of vegetables such as these kale chips.

Nuts

Nuts are a convenient and portable snack if you have a busy lifestyle. They contain healthy Omega-3’s as well as unsaturated fats (which help lower cholesterol), fiber, vitamin E, and protein. Plus, they are great to decorate food with and you can also try nut butters or roasting your own.

Seeds

Seeds are a great addition to a meal or snack, and a healthy source of Omega-3’s fiber, and protein. They are also great to decorate food with—here are some healthy ideas.

Fruits

chicken, vegetable
Grace Ling

Apples, oranges, and fruits with hard skins can be easily carried around. Softer fruits such as bananas and berries need a case. 

Fresh or dried fruit are also convenient snacks to carry around. Many dried fruits contain added sugar, though, so carefully read the label.

You can also get creative with fruit with these triple layer apple sandwich and green apple fruit leather recipes.

Pretzels

Pretzels don’t get crushed as easily as other types of crackers. You can also try these chocolate pretzel bites.

Sandwiches

peanut butter, jam, chocolate, butter, peanut, cake
Tarika Narain

Sandwiches are a convenient food that’s quiet and perfect to curb hunger when you’re in class or studying in the library. Here are some ways to upgrade your peanut butter and jelly sammy.

Water

beer
Anasazi Levy

Sometimes when you feel hungry, you are actually thirsty. Carry around a reusable water bottle and fill it up anytime you want.  

I hope you'll never have to feel hungry when you're on the go again. For more food hacks, check out my blog and for more on food art, head over to my food Instagram