Out of all the tropical fruits, mango is perhaps the best... well in my opinion. However, there is nothing more disappointing than slicing up a mango and finding out it's not ripe yet. But, lucky for you, there is a way to prevent this. Here are a few ways on how to tell if a mango is ripe or not. 

The Feel

juice, sweet, mango
Lissane Kafie

When talking about texture, a ripe mango should feel a little soft. You can always buy a mango that feels firmer, and leave it in the kitchen until it gets that slightly soft texture, sort of like a peach. Just know that it should never get to the point where it feels mushy

The Smell

mango, sweet
Catherine Wong

If you are still unsure based on the mango's texture, you can focus on it's scent. A ripe mango is always going to smell kind of fruity near the stem area. Don't worry, If you don't really know what I mean by fruity, just see if you can smell a combination of pineapple and melon. If you are focusing on the scent, you have to remember that mangos are sweet fruits, so you are looking for a sweet scent. 

The Look

Market, Fruit, mango, apple, pasture
Amelia Hitchens

Apart from a mango's texture and scent, you can decide if its ripe or not based on how the mango looks like. A lot of people believe that a mango's color can help you tell whether its ripe or not. Wrong. The light red coloring some mangos have is not an indicator of ripeness. Mangos can be green, yellow, or even a slight shade of pink. Their colors will tell you more on the type of mango that their are, than if the mango is ripe or not. Additionally, it is important to know that ripe mango is always going to be rounded, sort of like a football

I have my ripe mango. Now what?

milk, sweet
Alex Weiner

Now that you were able to pick a ripe mango, you should focus on storing it properly. Your ripe mango should be stored at room temperature or up to 5 days in the fridge if the mango is whole. Once you cut the mango, though, it can live up to a couple of days in the fridge if its inside a container; or up to 6 months if you keep it in the freezer

Now that you know how to identify a ripe mango, remember that this healthy and sweet fruit can be either peeled, cut in slices, or cut into cubes. There are a lot of ways to enjoy a juicy mango while obtaining the nutritional value of over 20 vitamins and minerals, as well as an outstanding amount of antioxidants and fiber. Mangos are also amazing snacks if you are looking for looking to help your brain health and lower your blood sugar level. Thanks to this article, and me, you can include this superfood into your everyday diet.