Whenever I hear the term superfood, I immediately think of açaí bowls. But superfoods can be used in much more than just your morning smoothie, and there are tons of them that you've probably never heard of. If you have, props to you for trying out these nutrient powerhouses that are amazing for your health and easy to add to any meal. Here are seven superfoods you can try for a healthy boost.

1. Goji Berry

Goji berries used to only be sold in Asia, but they can now be found in many health food stores like Whole Foods. Goji berries are usually sold dried and are perfect for adding a crunch to a bowl or smoothie. These berries are packed with Vitamin A and C, iron, and dietary fiber. 

2. Chlorella

Chlorella is a blue-green algae that is used as an all-natural supplement. This superfood is known for detoxifying heavy metals like mercury, supporting your immune system, promoting weight loss, and lowering cholesterol. You can incorporate this superfood into your diet by taking tablets or by buying it in powder form and adding it to your cereal, oatmeal, salads, or yogurt. 

3. Turmeric

cinnamon, relish, condiment, sweet, coffee, turmeric, curry
Sarina Raman

Turmeric, which is part of the ginger family, is a spice that can be added to literally anything. This superfood has healthy amounts of iron, fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and magnesium. It is also known to reduce gas and bloating, aid in digesting fats and reduce joint pain.

4. Bee Pollen

mustard
Hareena Kaur

You've definitely heard of bee pollen, but what about sprinkling it on top of your yogurt, cereal, granola, or popcorn? Bee pollen is known to boost your immune system, enhance energy levels, and help prevents colds and the flu.

5. Flaxseed

Flaxseed is filled with omega-3 essential fatty acids, lignans, and fiber. Adding flaxseed to your diet can promote healthy hair and skin by providing essential fats and vitamins. Flaxseeds are also gluten-free and high in antioxidants, making them the perfect addition to salads, soups, or smoothies.

6. Maca Powder

Maca powder can be used in smoothies, protein shakes, and some desserts like brownies and ice cream. The powder is made from the maca root which is part of the radish family. Maca is packed with zinc, iron, magnesium, vitamins, and amino acids. It is known to enhance energy, mood, and aid women with menstrual symptoms. 

7. Amaranth

groats, mustard, amaranth, corn, wheat, quinoa, condiment, millet, cereal
Christin Urso

Amaranth is a protein-packed seed that is similar to quinoa. It is often used as a breakfast cereal or added to soups and sauces. Amaranth has a significant amount of protein, iron, fiber, calcium, and magnesium. It is higher in minerals than most vegetables.

These unique superfoods are nutrient-rich with some incredible health benefits. They can also be creative, healthy additions to your daily diet