Fall is upon us and we all know what that means: it's time to go apple picking. Apple picking is one of my favorite pastimes and has been a tradition in my family every fall since I was a little kid. My two siblings and I each fill our own baskets with an assortment of apples from, Honey Crisp, MacIntosh, Golden Delicious, and any other kinds found in the nearest orchard.

For all of those who have been apple picking before, you know how expensive it can be since they charge you by the pound. And three basketfuls is a lot of money, and a lot of apples.

Every year my mom tells us to cut down the number of apples we pick, but we never listen and if they aren't eaten or baked with they eventually go to waste.

But have no fear, you can and will find a way to use all those apples so mom won't be mad about spending all that money. 

Eat them raw.

apple, juice, pasture
Maggie Gorman 

This might seem like a no brainer, but when you have two pounds of apples sitting on your counter the fastest way to get rid of them is to eat them. And as the saying goes, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. For an added bonus,

#SpoonTip: dip your apples in peanut butter or serve them with chicken salad as a nice treat for lunch.  

Bake a pie. 

apple, vegetable, sweet
Courtney Carter

Nothing screams fall like a homemade apple pie. This is the perfect opportunity to use a majority of the apples you picked at your last visit to the orchard. You can even get creative and turn your apple into a mini apple pie.

#SpoonTip: not all apples are perfect for baking, so make sure you use the right ones. 

Make applesauce. 

cereal, milk
Olivia Mattyasovszky

Yeah sure that store bought applesauce is pretty good, but here is an easy way to put those apples on your counter to use. 

Homemade applesauce is easy to make because you can use your mushiest or crunchiest apples. And it's the perfect snack for when you are on the go or a great addition to recipes if you are trying to be healthy. 

DIY caramel apples.

candy, sweet, sweetmeat, goody, chocolate, cake
Kirby Barth

Caramel apples are one of my favorite fall treats. They are super easy to make and you can get creative with toppings. It's a fun activity for you and your friends as well as a cute date night idea.

Brew homemade apple cider.

apple, cider, juice, sweet
Susanna Mostaghim

There is nothing like curling up on a crisp fall afternoon with a cup of apple cider. And yeah, that jug from the farm might taste amazing but you can make it just as easy, without spending the cash. And for all the 21+ year olds out there, try making apple cider sangria. 

Use them in your breakfast. 

sweet, syrup, pancake, pastry, honey, cake, cream, butter
Katherine O'Malley

There is no better way to use up all those apples on your counter than by incorporating them into your breakfast. Apples are a great addition to pancakes, muffins, donuts, and oatmeal. They are even the perfect addition to peanut butter toast.

Add them to your sandwiches and salads. 

vegetable, parsley, corn, rice, pepper, legume, cereal, lentil
Katherine Baker

Apples are the perfect addition to your favorite lunches. Add them in your salad for extra crunchiness and sweetness. Or you can pair them with a traditional peanut butter and jelly.

#SpoonTip: skip the bread and serve your chicken salad on apple slices.