If I'm being honest, I don't get stressed very often. With that said, I felt stressed all throughout 2016. Between writing my undergraduate thesis in the spring, graduating from college, moving back in with my parents, looking for a job, landing a job, and moving across the country for said job, the Claire Bear (that's me) was mighty stressed. 

Unfortunately for me, I had life after college to focus on and I couldn't afford to spend any time in one of those glamorous health and wellness retreats. If I had been able to, I definitely would have been thrilled to have stayed at one of these spots. Whether politics, school, or life in general is stressing you out, see if you can book a trip to one of these US health and wellness retreats. 

At the very least, I'm sure reading about these will calm you a bit. 

Canyon Ranch Tucson (Tucson, AZ)

Tucked away in gorgeous Tucson, Canyon Ranch isn't your typical spa getaway. The focus at this retreat is on wellness, nutrition, and fitness. The menu here is healthy and low-calorie, and the spa treatments are supposed to be incredible. There are daily fitness classes guests can participate in and Tucson offers lots of amazing hiking opportunities as well. 

Ventana Inn & Spa (Big Sur, CA)

You know a place that labels itself as a "destination for your soul" is going to be relaxing. With two outdoor pools and two Japanese baths, there's no shortage of calming water here. If a typical spa-like atmosphere isn't for you, give Ventana's glamping experience a try.

While glamping, you're put up in a massive safari-style tent fitted with a king size bed, a picnic table, and some lovely interior decor. At night, you receive a turndown service featuring such items as hot cocoa, a s'mores kit, and a hot water bottle to help warm the giant bed you're about to crash in.    

Shambhala Mountain Center (Red Feather Lakes, CO)

With 600 acres of beautiful mountainside safely tucked away at an elevation of 8,000 feet, Shambhala Mountain Center is the place to go if you want to escape from your regular life for a while. This retreat is perfect for someone who loves hiking and being outdoors. After going on a long hike to clear your mind, spend some time in one of Shambhala's meditation halls. 

Hidden Pond (Kennebunkport, ME)

I'm honestly not sure what the best part about Hidden Pond is. Is it the spa that's set up to look like a tree house? Maybe the daily nature walks and kayaking opportunities? The organic local cuisine served at the onsite restaurant sounds pretty great too though. If you're able to visit Hidden Pond, my gut tells me you'll love it all.

Kalani Experience (Big Island, HI) 

Kalani offers a wide variety of activities for guests to try, ranging from hula classes to tai chi to 12 different types of yoga. If simply being in Hawaii isn't incentive enough to book a stay at Kalani, maybe the sauna or two jacuzzis will. Kalani also helps guests set up excursions with tour companies to take helicopter tours of the coast and visit nearby waterfalls. 

New Life Hiking Spa (Killington, VT)

Rated the #1 destination spa in the US by Travel + Leisure magazine, New Life Hiking Spa is a relaxing getaway hidden in our own backyard. While the usual spa services are offered here, what really sets New Life apart from most US health and wellness retreats is the abundance of hiking available. With a range of hikes available for outdoor enthusiasts of all abilities, there's definitely an activity available for everyone. 

Miraval (Tucson, AZ)

Miraval easily has the most diverse array of activities of any retreat on this list. With choices ranging from photography classes to cooking lessons to horseback riding to honey tastings from their onsite apiary, Miraval really has it all. Guests also have the option to engage in fitness activities and meditation. 

See? I told you you'd be more relaxed after reading about these retreats. If you're majorly stressed at the moment, consider booking a few nights at any of these US health and wellness retreats. Mental health is just as important as physical health, so make sure you're taking care of yourself.