Year after year, resolutions are made on Jan. 1 and lost before Valentine's Day. Although the resolutions have good intentions, they're usually over ambitious and pretty unrealistic. But a lot of changes can be made in 365 days, so here are some achievable resolutions to make this New Year healthier and happier.

1. Drink More Water

A resolution as simple as promising to guzzle enough ounces each day can make you look and feel like a new person. The Institute of Medicine established an adequate water intake of 13 cups per day for men and nine cups per day for women.

Hitting these hydration goals can help control your appetite, give you more energy throughout the day, and make your hair and skin glow. Investing in a reusable water bottle to carry with you or infusing water with fruit  can make this resolution less boring and totally achievable.

2. Eat 6 Servings of Fruit and Vegetables a Day

vegetable
Kevin Dang

By making sure you eat at least six servings of fruits and vegetables a day, you can ditch those calorie counts and crash diets. The USDA recommends eating 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, but this can be challenging for most people so six servings is a good start.

Because fruits and veggies are low in calories and high in fiber, vitamins, minerals and phytochemical, getting the recommended about will help you hit your fitness goals even faster. Make this goal a reality by adding a fruit or veggie to your snacks in-between meals and fill half your plate with produce every meal.

3. Eat Breakfast

toast, bread, butter
Megan Wylie

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it is also the easiest to skip. This year, go the extra mile and commit to grabbing a breakfast-to-go every day.

Eating breakfast helps kick start your metabolism, and stabilizes your blood sugar by providing your brain with carbohydrates. You will be less grouchy! Breakfast doesn't have to be gourmet, keep it simple with yogurt and granola or some avocado toast.

4. Hit Your Step Goal

beer, coffee, tea
Alyssa DiFrancesco

Fire up that Fitbit you never took out of the box from last Christmas because hitting your step goal is the easiest way to get your daily dose of exercise. 

Parking at the back of the parking lot or ditching the bus on the way to class are simple choices to boost your activity level. Using a fitness app or investing in a tracker are quantifiable ways to crush your goals.

5. Call Your Family More Often

coffee, espresso, tea, cappuccino, milk
Rebecca Block

Between juggling class, work and a social life, sometimes calling home gets put on the back burner. This New Year make picking up the phone a priority.

A phone call with your parents or grandparents is guaranteed to boost your mood and take your stress level down a notch or two. Plus, you may even make their day.

6. Ditch the Soda

coffee, tea
Anna Arteaga

Leaving soda out of your diet means leaving out tons of added sugars and artificial sweeteners as well. Consuming sugary drinks, like soda, increase your risk for diabetes, heart disease and weak bones. This resolution might seem simple, but a soda habit is an addiction and definitely won't go away without serious dedication.

Kick this habit by replacing sugary soda with seltzer, lemon water, tea or coffee. Adding more protein to your diet can also help resolve withdrawal symptoms and make quitting easier.

7. Load Up On Calcium

milk, sweet, yogurt, dairy product, coffee, cream
Hannah Cooper

Many Americans are falling short of the daily recommendation of 1000 mg of calcium. Calcium is an important micronutrient that helps prevent osteoporosis as we age.

One serving of yogurt, cheese, and milk each have 300 mg of calcium. To make this resolution do-able, aim to get three servings of either milk, yogurt or cheese daily; this will get you pretty close to the recommendation and ensure strong bones later in life.

8.  Take Care of Your Skin

Elizabeth Layman

Skin care is another step to take now for a healthier future. Taking care of your skin in your 20's will help resolve acne now, and prevent premature aging and fight wrinkles in the future.

In 2017, invest in a foundation with SPF, find a routine that works for you, and never go to sleep with make-up on (even after a night out).

9. Put Your Mental Health First

cake, beer, tea
Julia Murphy

Life can be stressful. Although it's important to get good grades, excel at work, build new relationships, and take care of your physical health, your mental health needs to come first.

Once in a while, take a day off to relax and find some peace. Curl up with a good book and a cup of tea, spend the day on the beach or hang out with your mom. Taking a break to rest and recharge will improve your outlook and your body will thank you.

10. Step Outside Your Comfort Zone

Megs Rowley

With a new year comes new opportunities. Make a resolution to step outside your comfort zone and try new things in 2017. Steps as simple as trying a new food, taking an interesting class, or asking for the promotion you've been working for can help broaden your horizons. 

Use the new year as a fresh start to make a positive change for a healthier lifestyle. As 2017 comes to a close, take time to reflect and think about the best resolution for you. Happy New Year — let's make 2018 count!