If you’re like most college students who don’t have much experience in the kitchen but don’t want to be the lame one bringing chips and utensils to your next potluck, we’ve got your back: make fruit kabobs.

While your cooking-inclined friends bring the decadent pies and stuffing, this lighter dish can balance out the richer items. In the holiday season of feasting, it’s easy to forget your vitamin C.

The chocolate drizzling is completely optional but gives your fruit a classy finish. You may want to consider if your fruit goes well with chocolate though. Once you have the basics down, you can start getting fancy. For example, drizzling yogurt instead will create a classier look. If you want to go all out, dip the entire kabob in chocolate.

Another option is to cut your fruit into shapes, such as stars or hearts. You can also skewer non-fruit items, such as cookies, brownie bits, etc. Get creative and wow your friends with your culinary genius.

Fruit Kabobs

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:15 minutes

• 2 apples
  • 10 strawberries
  • 3 bananas
  • 40 grapes
Photo by Anna Hirschorn

Based on aesthetics, taste, or personal preference, decide what fruits you want to use for your kabobs.

Photo by Anna Hirschorn

Wash, peel and dice as necessary. Aim for bite-sized portions.

Photo by Anna Hirschorn

Skewer the fruit.

#SpoonTip: Keep in mind that fruits with soft flesh or pieces too large will slide right down the stick. It’s important to choose a solid fruit as the base.

Photo by Anna Hirschorn

Arrange them beautifully to present at your party.

Photo by Anna Hirschorn

Drizzle with chocolate to impress.

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu