After a day of classes and meetings, sometimes the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time making dinner. But a box of Lucky Charms can only go so far. That’s where pulled pork comes in. A little time put in before classes begin and I come home to a perfectly cooked meal and all that’s required is waiting long enough for it to cool off.

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6-7 hours
Total Time: 6 hours and 15 minutes – 7 hours and 15 minutes

Servings: 10 – 12

1 bone-in pork shoulder roast, 9-12 pounds (also called a butt roast)
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons salt
Barbeque sauce, optional

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a large roasted pan (or any 9×13 pan) with aluminum foil and set aside.
2. Rinse roast under warm water and pat dry with paper towels. Set in prepared baking dish.
3. In a small bowl, thoroughly combine remaining ingredients to create a rub (if desired, double or triple the batch to have leftovers).

Photo by Amanda Gajdosik

4. Sprinkle a small amount of the rub over the surface of the pork, massaging it into the meat. Continue to add more of the spice mixture, working all the way around the pork, and rubbing it in as you go.

Photo by Amanda Gajdosik

5. Place roast in preheated oven. After 3 hours, check roast and cover with tinfoil if the top is browning too quickly. Cook for another 3 hours.
6. Check for doneness by removing the roast from the oven and testing it with a fork. If the meat comes apart with little to no effort, it’s done. If you feel some tension or toughness, continue to cook for another hour or until meat pulls away from the bone easily.
7. When roast is done, remove from oven and allow to rest until meat is cool enough to handle. When it is, simply shred the meat, separating the fat to be discarded, and place in a bowl.

Photo by Amanda Gajdosik

8. Serve on whole-wheat buns, with or without barbeque sauce. Pork will keep in fridge for up to 5 days.

Photo by Amanda Gajdosik