Spoon University Logo
IMG 4608
IMG 4608
Recipes

The Best Vegan BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at UVM chapter.

Are you looking for a vegan alternative to pulled pork? This recipe uses jackfruit: a large, spiky, fruit native to Asia. Jackfruit is popular in many vegan recipes because it resembles the consistency of pulled pork. You can purchase jackfruit at a local Asian grocery store or at Trader Joe’s ($1.99 a can). Pulled jackfruit can also be a healthier alternative for people who are looking for a lower calorie option. 

I recommend serving this recipe either as a taco filling or on a sandwich. You can add vegan coleslaw, kimchi, or hot sauce to add new textures and flavors to the dish. I used Trader Joe’s Organic Sriracha and Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce; it’s 100% vegan and adds a spicy kick to the jackfruit. Although the recipe only requires 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce, feel free to add more! 

Vegan Pulled BBQ Jackfruit

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 20 minutesCook time:1 hour Total time:1 hour 20 minutesServings:3 servings

Instructions

1. Sara Klimek

Preheat oven to 400° F. After rinsing the jackfruit, remove the inner core. The chunks should just have the fibrous exterior without the hard pith.

2. Sara Klimek

In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.

3. Sara Klimek

Add spices, salt/pepper, and jackfruit to skillet. Stir until combined.

4. Sara Klimek

Pour in veggie stock. Cover u0026 simmer on low heat for 15-20 mins, or until stock is absorbed.

5. Sara Klimek

Scoop jackfruit mixture on to a parchment-paper lined baking sheet. Using a fork, shred the jackfruit so it resembles the consistency of pulled pork.

6. Sara Klimek

Bake in oven for 25-30 mins or until dry.

7. Sara Klimek

Remove from oven, mix in sauce, and bake again for 10 minutes.

8. Sara Klimek

Serve on sandwiches, over rice, or whatever way you’d enjoy pulled pork!

Sara found her passion for writing and editing as an editorial intern (and later copy editor, managing editor, and editorial director) at bSmart Guide: an online women's publishing platform focused on women's wellness and professional mentorship. She became the president and editorial director at Spoon University-Vermont in March 2020. When she's not writing, Sara enjoys reading, fitness, yoga, and hiking. She currently lives in Vermont and studies Environmental Studies, Food Systems, and Nutrition & Food Science at UVM. After graduation, she plans on pursuing a M.S. in Agricultural Extension Education and becoming a 4-H Youth Development Coordinator.