Spoon University Logo
Screen Shot 2017 06 23 at 2.23.23 PM
Screen Shot 2017 06 23 at 2.23.23 PM
Lifestyle

9 Recipes Inspired by Food Network’s “Bakers Vs. Fakers”

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at UVA chapter.

The sweet counterpart to Cooks Vs. Cons, Bakers Vs. Fakers pits two professional bakers against two amateur ones. There are two rounds of competition.  

In the first round, the competitors are assigned a baked good to make and a secret ingredient, coming in several forms to choose from, that they must incorporate.

After one baker or faker is eliminated, the remaining three must compete in a second round with a different secret ingredient. In the second round, they bake anything they want as long as it showcases that particular component.

After watching several episodes, I found myself constantly coming up with my own ideas for desserts that showcase those secret ingredients. Here are some fun recipes you can try out to experience “Bakers Vs. Fakers” for yourself. 

Oats: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

With the time crunch, even the professional bakers would have a hard time baking a cake in the second round of competition. Instead, you can take advantage of the secret ingredient of oats and make carrot cake oatmeal for all the flavor and none of the baking time. 

Zucchini: Zucchini Brownies

Bakers Vs. Fakers chocolate brownie
Diana Ghidanac

Many health-nuts use zucchini in baked goods for a lower calorie result. The judges aren’t looking for something that tastes healthy, though. You won’t have to worry about that if you serve them one of these zucchini brownies. 

Corn: Chè Bắp

Bakers Vs. Fakers milk cream
Jenny Nguyen

Impress the judges with your knowledge international dessert foods with this vietnamese recipe. Chè bắp is made from rice cooked down until it’s almost a pudding. Then the secret ingredient, corn, is added along with sugar and topped with coconut cream

Crackers: Crack Crackers

Bakers Vs. Fakers milk chocolate sweet
Krista Stucchio

There’s a reason these things, whether you call them crackers, cookies, or candy, are always preceded by the word “crack.” You’ll have the judges addicted with just one bite of this sweet and salty treat featuring crackers, toffee, and chocolate. 

Rice: Rice Pudding

Bakers Vs. Fakers sweet cream
Shalayne Pulia

Taking the hardest secret ingredient option, an undeniably savory fried rice, and turning it into a delicious savory treat is sure to convince the judges that you’re a baker. Plus, you have the added bonus of using up the last of the leftover takeout you’ve been avoiding. 

Cereal: Cereal Milk Ice Cream

Demi Lovato cream milk
Kathleen Lee

Momofuku Milk Bar changed the ice cream world by infusing ice cream with cereal. This recipe is the perfect homemade version that you can customize with your favorite childhood cereal, or whichever of the secret ingredient options that looks the most appetizing. 

Pretzels: Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles

Bakers Vs. Fakers milk cake
Maggie Gorman

In my opinion, there’s no better combination than chocolate and peanut butter. With this recipe for hand-held dessert truffles, the judges are sure to agree and appreciate the creativity with ingredients that proves you’re a true baker. 

Yogurt: Greek Yogurt Panna Cotta

food that you must try sweet cream
Lee Nguyen

If you run for tart greek yogurt for a dessert, the judges may call you a faker. But after they taste this recipe, they’ll be begging for your recipe and swearing you’re a real, professional baker.

At home, this recipe will take a while, but you would always throw it in the blast chiller in a timed competition

Marshmallow: Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cupcakes

Hot Chocolate cream cake
Jaime Wilson

Take the judges back to their childhood with this nostalgia-evoking recipe for peppermint hot chocolate cupcakes. The marshmallow takes center stage in icing that’ll have the judges licking their fingers. 

After you practice a range of baking techniques using these recipes, you’ll be more than ready to try your hand at faking your way into having judges on “Bakers Vs. Fakers” convinced you’re a professional baker.

Renee Spillane is a fourth year at the University of Virginia and studying accounting and marketing. Some of her favorite hobbies include running, reading, writing, photography, cooking, and travel. Everyone that knows Renee knows that she has a slight obsession with food, which often means stalking menus on yelp, compulsively baking, and running her foodstagram @foodbyrenee.