Spoon University Logo
IMG 7080.JPG
IMG 7080.JPG
Recipes

These 4-Ingredient Scallion Pancakes Will Make You Feel Like You’re in Taiwan

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at UCSD chapter.

Whether you’re in need of an appetizer, a meal, or a snack, these scallion pancakes are super simple to make and you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand any way. I woke up feeling so nostalgic about my trip to Asia this past summer but munching on these crispy beauties made me feel like I was back in Taiwan again.  

Taiwanese Scallion Pancakes

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 15 minutesCook time: 10 minutesTotal time: 25 minutesServings:3 servings

Instructions

1. Melissa Vajanaphanich

Prepare your ingredients by chopping the scallions and measuring out your flour and your water.

#SpoonTip If you can sift your flour while measuring, it will be so much crispier!

2. Melissa Vajanaphanich

Put aside your scallions and combine the flour and the water.

3. Melissa Vajanaphanich

Mix thoroughly and allow the mixture to rest for 7 minutes.

4. Melissa Vajanaphanich

Add scallions and salt to the mixture.

5. Melissa Vajanaphanich

Heat up a pan (using oil is optional if you have a non-stick pan but I just wanted to make them extra crispy) and mix in the scallions while waiting.

6. Melissa Vajanaphanich

Spoon the mixture into the pan and use that spoon to evenly distribute for a thin, crispy pancake. You can size them however you’d like.

7. Melissa Vajanaphanich

Wait for the edges to turn slightly golden and flip to cook thoroughly .

8. Melissa Vajanaphanich

Allow the bottom to brown and then serve! I like it best with crispy chili oil.

Melissa is a fan of novel experiences so you can always expect her traveling somewhere interesting and eating something unique.