Spoon University Logo
IMG 4395
IMG 4395
Recipes

This Easy Eggplant Caviar Is the Bougiest Thing You’ll Eat All Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at UC Irvine chapter.

This pan-Eurasian eggplant starter has as many variations as there are distinct cuisines in the greater Eurasia region. The Azerbaijani version, from Feride Buyuran’s Pomegranates and Saffron, is distinguished by a touch of vinegar added at the end, which adds a wonderfully subtle layer of complexity.

A couple of things before you start: eggplant needs LOTS of salt to be properly seasoned, err on the side of lower heat in the last step to avoid drying it out, and maybe chop the pepper a little finer than everything else, since it is the crispiest thing added closest to the end.

Eggplant Caviar

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 20 minutesCook time:1 hour 30 minutesTotal time:1 hour 50 minutesServings:1 servings

Instructions

1. Char or roast eggplants for peeling. If roasting, cook eggplants for 30-40 minutes at 400ºF. After peeling, chop flesh roughly.

2. Oil your pan and cook the onion until soft and translucent (7-10 minutes). Avoid coloring.

3. Evaporate some liquid from the tomatoes (5 minutes).

4. Add eggplant and peppers and season to taste. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring from time to time, until liquid is evaporated and mixture smooth (40 minutes).

5. About 5 minutes before you remove the pan from heat, stir in vinegar.

#SpoonTip: Double check the seasoning because vinegar counteracts salt.

6. Photo by Valentine Bratoff

Allow to cool and leave to sit at least 3 hours before eating. It will only get better over time.

Foodist, drummer, student. Cargo short connoisseur. Beer drinker, but not much of a hell raiser. #🐜🍴