Spoon University Logo
IMG 0776 2
IMG 0776 2
Recipes

Veganized: This Vegan Fajita Recipe is a Perfect Weeknight Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at TX State chapter.

After a long day of school or work, it can feel difficult to come home and still have to cook a meal. It can be especially daunting since cooking also requires cleaning up afterward. I made sure to keep this in mind when creating this recipe and kept the dishes used to a minimum. When testing this recipe, I wanted to create something that was quick and easy without compromising on flavor. While doing some research, I noticed that many vegan fajita recipes used mushrooms. I must confess that I am not the biggest fan of mushrooms and wanted to use a different ingredient that was still a great source of plant-based protein. I was quickly drawn to tempeh.

I find that tempeh has a great texture that mimics the texture of various dishes that are traditionally meat-centric. This lead me to the creation of the “veganized” series. I want to take recipes that normally rely heavily on animal-based ingredients and create something that is equally delicious and cruelty-free. Since I want to start out simple, I chose to make this vegan fajita recipe the beginning to the series. The best thing about the recipe is the ability to make so many different variations. Personally, I enjoy adding some zucchini or squash. Although it is written for only one serving, it is very easy to increase the servings to feed a family or a party. Once trying this recipe, I know that it will quickly become a go-to weeknight dinner.

Side Note: Has anyone ever had issues with fresh cilantro wilting in the fridge? I know I used to until I discovered this method to help increase the shelf-life.

Vegan Tempeh Fajitas Recipe

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 15 minutesCook time: 10 minutesTotal time: 25 minutesServings:1 servings

Instructions

1. Jordi Almeida
    Quick Tempeh Marinade:ru003cbru003eIn a medium-sized dish, place tempeh*, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic powder, and the pepper and set aside for 10 minutes. Flip tempeh after 5 minutes to ensure even coating.ru003cbru003eru003cbru003e*Note: I used tempeh that contains flax seed for this recipe.
  2. Jordi Almeida
    Meanwhile, chop the onion, tomato, and chili pepper lengthwise, making it approximately the same length as the tempeh.ru003cbru003eru003cbru003e#SpoonTip: For the tomato and chili pepper, I recommend removing the insides for a less spicy and more uniform texture.
  3. Jordi Almeida
    In a small pan, add oil over medium heat. Once oil is shimmering, add tempeh. Cook on one side for about 2-3 minutes.
  4. Jordi Almeida
    Flip tempeh and add vegetables. Add the pinch of salt and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until tempeh is fully cooked.
  5. Jordi Almeida
    Immediately serve fajitas and top with cilantro.ru003cbru003eru003cbru003e#SpoonTip: If desired, serve this dish on some warm tortillas with a side of beans and rice to truly elevate the meal to the next level.

After finishing this amazing meal, the only thing that can make the night better is popping a couple maple pecan chocolate chip cookies in the oven. 

Jordi Almeida

TX State '20

I have been cooking and baking consistently since I was around 11 years old, and I love making new recipes.