Spoon University Logo
photo 1452725210141 07dda20225ec?ixlib=rb 0.3
Recipes

7 Canadian-Inspired Drinks to Try This Canada Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Queen's U chapter.

Canada Day is just around the corner and what better way to celebrate than with a cold drink. Whether you will be drinking on a dock, a patio or in a backyard, these 7 Canadian-inspired drinks are sure to get the party started. Easy and fun to make, we highly recommend you give one of these drinks a try. 

1. Classic Caesar

Drinks to Spice up your Brunch vegetable Cocktails
Alexandra Redmond

The Caesar is a classic Canadian drink, similar to the American Bloody Mary. Made with clamato juice and vodka, a Caesar is sure to hit the spot. Whether you drink it as your go-to party drink or have it as a little “hair of the dog” the next morning, this drink is sure to satisfy. Here’s what you’ll need:

– Ice 

– 3 Dashes of Worcestershire Sauce

– 3oz Clamato Juice 

– 1-3 Dashes hot sauce (or to taste) 

– 1-2oz vodka 

– salt/pepper 

– olives, pickles or other optional garnishes

2. Micro Brew / Craft Beer 

Socialising with alcohol photo by Mattias Diesel (@mattiasdiesel) on Unsplash
Unsplash on unsplash

Living in Canada means we live in a country full of local microbreweries offering a wide selection of beers. These companies offer a selection of non-traditionally flavoured beers.

This can be a great way to explore new flavours while still drinking a refreshing beer with friends. With over 60 registered microbreweries in Ontario, you’ll be sure to find one you enjoy. 

Ontario Craft Brewers is your go-to website to discover any and all micro and craft breweries in Ontario.

3. Maple Old Fashioned 

Ice, drink, whiskey and cocktail HD photo by Tim Wright (@timdwright) on Unsplash
Unsplash on unsplash

An Old Fashioned is a cocktail made traditionally with whiskey and, occasionally, bourbon. This drink is made by combining whiskey with bitters and a citrus garnish. If this is a drink you love, add a little maple syrup to give it a Canadian twist.

– 2 oz Canadian Rye Whiskey 

– 1 teaspoon 100% Canadian Maple Syrup 

– Dash of Angostura bitters 

– Orange peel to garnish

4. Red Punch 

Strawberry cocktail drinks photo by Whitney Wright (@whitney_wright) on Unsplash
Unsplash on unsplash

If beer or liquor doesn’t tickle your fancy, try this Canada-inspired red punch. Sweeter than other alcoholic drinks, a bowl of punch is sure to please a large crowd. Punch can be wine or liquor based making every punch a different and exciting flavour.

– 1 bottle of wine OR liquor to desired strength

– 1/2 bottle red fruit juice (cranberry, pomegranate, berry)    

– juice of 1 lemon or lime 

– soda or sparkling water to taste 

– red fruit to garnish 

5. Canadian Carbomb 

scorpion
Molly Giroux

A twist on the classic Jager Bomb, a Canadian Carbomb uses Canadian made beer and whiskey. This drink involves dropping a shot of whiskey into a glass of beer to make what is referred to as a “bomb”. 

6. Red Jello Shots 

Canadian inspired drinks
Molly Giroux

Jello Shots are a classic party drink that is sure to liven up any occasion. They’re a fun way to drink with friends while enjoying your favourite jello flavours. By simply adding any liquor to a bowl of red jello mix, your Canada Day party will become even more of a blast.

– 1 box Strawberry Jello mix 

– 4 cups warm water

– preferred liquor to taste 

7. Maple Whiskey Lemonade

DRINK photo by Auré Pereira (@aurepereira) on Unsplash
Unsplash on unsplash

This Canadian-inspired drink is a twist on the classic glass of lemonade. By adding a shot of Crown Royal’s Maple Whiskey, your lemonade is about to get a whole lot better and a whole lot more Canadian.   

– 1 glass of lemonade 

– 1-2oz Crown Royal Maple Whiskey

No matter what your plans are this Canada Day, these 7 drinks have you covered. Whether you’re a beer fan, a wine lover, or a liquor connoisseur, these drinks are sure to hit the spot and bring extra Canuck vibes to any party. 

#SpoonTip: Always drink responsibly and legally. If it’s hot out, drinking can result in dehydration—drink equal parts water to the size of your alcoholic beverages. Happy Canada Day!

Spoon University Placeholder Avatar
Molly Giroux

Queen's U '21

Im a second year student at Queens University studying Urban Development and Health! I have passion for all things health and nutrition and love sharing my passion n a creative level!