Spoon University Logo
IMG 2300
IMG 2300
Recipes

Garlic-Butter Farfalle with Spinach

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at PITT chapter.

Italian food is getting expensive. A plate of Spaghetti and Meatballs or Penne alla Vodka can cost $10-15 at your local pizza shop, and that’s not including the crazy prices that come with finer dining. Taking the homemade route may sound like a viable option, but then you are faced with the challenge of finding time and buying ingredients that aren’t already in your pantry. But alas! Don’t fear! My Garlic-Butter Farfalle with Spinach recipe is easy, gourmet, and does not require any out-of-pantry purchases. Plus, it won’t deflate the wallet.

Garlic-Butter Farfalle with Spinach

Prep Time: 5 min

Cook Time: 10 min

Total Time: 15 min

Serves: 4

– 8 oz uncooked Farfalle (but any pasta is fine)

-3 tablespoons of butter

-3 tablespoons olive oil, separated

-4 cloves of jarred, minced garlic

-1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes

-5-6 cups of spinach, roughly chopped

-Juice of one lemon

-Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Add pasta to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta while reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Drizzle the pasta with 1 tablespoon of olive oil to prevent sticking together and set aside.

Garlic-Butter Farfalle with Spinach
Eion Plenn

2. Using the same pot, cook butter and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.

Garlic-Butter Farfalle with Spinach
Eion Plenn

3. While sauce cooks, roughly chop spinach. Add the spinach to the pan and cook until leaves are wilted. Add pasta and cook for 5 min, slowly adding 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water. If the pasta starts to dry out, add another tablespoon of olive oil.

Garlic-Butter Farfalle with Spinach
Eion Plenn

Garlic-Butter Farfalle with Spinach
Eion Plenn

Garlic-Butter Farfalle with Spinach
Eion Plenn

4. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Play Dean Martin’s That’s Amore and enjoy!

Garlic-Butter Farfalle with Spinach
Eion Plenn

tbd.