Spoon University Logo
vsco photo 1
vsco photo 1
Reviews

Eugene’s First Açaí Cafe Arrived Just in Time for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Oregon chapter.

Ah, the classic açaí bowl. A tropical favorite of beach-bums and sun-soakers alike, this nutritious smoothie bowl concoction has long been a healthy treat perfect for warm, sunny days. But what about us? What about the people who don’t have the luxury of constant sun? We have been missing an açaí bowl cafe in Eugene for way too long, and I’ve been getting restless. 

What makes the sun so great, huh? (Besides aiding in Vitamin D production, plant growth, and keeping us all alive). People living in the rain can enjoy happy foods too, okay. 

As much as I love this weird hippy college town, the long winter months are dark as hell and it really puts a damper on the soul. Anyone who lives in the Pacific Northwest, let alone Eugene, understands my struggle; its a beautiful place, but we all need a little sunshine to keep us sane.

Spring Term in Eugene feels like the Earth is being restored from a post-apocalyptic state. Dreary days indoors turn into glorious day fades, sunny days at the river, and classes that don’t involve the uncomfortable feeling of wet pants and frizzy hair. (If you know, you know.) 

Something else happens when the sun comes out, and that thing is food. Sunny days yield endless food options that seem evil when it’s cold: smoothies, ice cream and the infamous açaí bowl. Speaking of the latter, the time has finally come for an açaí bowl cafe in Eugene.

Behold, Big Kahuna Bowls.

The first açaí bowl cafe in Eugene has finally made its way to this part of the Pacific Northwest, and it was well worth the wait.

This tropical-themed cafe is the second branch of its original location in Hawaii. So they must know what they’re doing, right?

Right.

The menu is affordably priced at $9 per bowl, $10 if you want to create your own. Classic toppings don these picture-perfect creations, including coconut shavings, granola, and Goji berries.

While most of the ingredients offered are standard for your typical açaí bowl, there is one topping offered that blew my taste buds out of the water.

JEM’s Cinnamon Red Maca Almond Butter is raw, organic, and the best nut spread I have ever tried, hands down. The Red Maca and cinnamon add an earthy balance to this naturally sprouted almond butter, and drizzling it on top of one of Big Kahuna’s açaí bowls is a game changer that will make you crave a smoothie bowl every day of your life (that’s currently where I’m at). 

açaí bowl cafe in Eugene banana ice cream
Ava Karim

Whether you’re trying to jog up faint memories of what it feels like to be in the sun or embracing its long awaited return to the Willamette Valley, Big Kahuna bowls is your go-to spot. Try it people, you won’t regret it.

Big Kahuna Bowls is the first açaí bowl cafe in Eugene, conveniently located on 1351 Willamette Street in downtown Eugene (I’m talking to you, 13th and Olive residents). Don’t have a car? Get there from the University of Oregon campus by taking the EMX bus or going on a bike ride when the weather clears up. 

Sloth enthusiast; adventure-seeker; poster child for those who can't dance but do it anyways.