Spoon University Logo
IMG 0983
IMG 0983
Recipes

Impress Your Friends With These Chocolate Pistachio Drop Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Ohio U chapter.

For my family, Christmas cookies are the highlight of December— hands down. A homemade batch makes the perfect gift for neighbors, friends, and neighbors that think they’re your friends. There are at least 10 tried and true types of cookies that fill our tins each year, but we also try to debut some new recipes, if we deem them worthy.

These chocolate pistachio drops passed my family’s taste test this year (and we’re picky!). Each bite has the richness of cocoa biscotti and the airiness of a chocolate chip cookie. The recipe starts with a one-bowl chocolate drop base (instructions found on the back of the “BAKER’S Unsweetened Chocolate” box).

Although a variety of toppings could jazz up this simple cookie, but the combo of pistachios and dark chocolate seemed too luxurious to pass up. This dessert can be used to celebrate Christmas or New Year’s, so happy baking!

Chocolate Pistachio Drops

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 20 minutesCook time: 20 minutesTotal time: 40 minutesServings:50 servings

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.

3.  Gina Marcucci

Pour chocolate chips into small crockpot or sauce pan. Add shortening for easier melting. Stir every 5 minutes.

4.  Gina Marcucci

In a glass bowl, microwave chocolate and butter together for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir thoroughly.

5.  Gina Marcucci

Slowly stir in sugar. Once blended, add eggs and vanilla.

6. Gina Marcucci

Gradually add in flour, about 1/2 cup at a time. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl to include all of the flour.

7.  Gina Marcucci

Shell and then chop pistachios into halves.

8.  Gina Marcucci

Roll dough into balls, spaced 1-1/2 inches apart on baking sheet. Press pistachio chunks into the top of each cookie.

9. Bake for 8-10 minutes, checking after 8.

10. Let cookies cool completely. Drizzle each with melted chocolate.

#SpoonTip: Pour melted chocolate into a Ziploc bag and cut a tiny slit into the corner to spread the melted chocolate more evenly.

11. Gina Marcucci

Enjoy with a tall glass of milk and wait for Santa.

Believes crunchy peanut butter is underrated.