Spoon University Logo
IMG 3112 %281%29
IMG 3112 %281%29
Recipes

Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Authentic One Pot Pastas for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at NYU chapter.

One Pot Pasta has been one of the biggest life changes I’ve made in 2017. Over the past year, websites like Buzzfeed and Saveur have been inundated with recipes for making a full meal in one container in a short amount of time — put everything in a pot, heat it up, and ta-da it’s done. Everyone from lazy college students to busy parents could love the simplicity and convenience of this concept. 

But what if you’re vegan? What if you can’t eat traditional glutinous pasta? What if you were bred and raised on Italian tradition and how dare anyone make a complex pasta dish in one pot in under 30 minutes?

That’s where I come in…

Up first: Pumpkin Shaped Pasta with a Pumpkin Sage Cream Sauce adapted from Lauren Toyota.

Vegan Pumpkin Pot Pasta

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 5 minutesCook time: minutesTotal time: 5 minutesServings:4 servings

Instructions

1. Alison Regan

Add olive oil, minced garlic, and onion to a pan and cook for 2 min or until fragrant.

2. Alison Regan

Add spices and cook for another minute.

3. Alison Regan

Add can of coconut milk, bring to a boil, then add canned pumpkin, turn down heat and stir until desired consistency.

4. Alison Regan

Add nutritional yeast and lemon juice and stir to combine.

5. Alison Regan

Add pasta, and put on lid and let cook for 10-12 min, or follow cooking directions on pasta box.

6. Alison Regan

Serve with fresh cracked pepper, salt and spices.

While it may sound blasphemous to any true Italian chef, this concept originates in Puglia, Italy, and was popularized by Nora Singley, a recipe developer for Martha Stewart, who spoke to her server at a traditional restaurant in Puglia and was shown the magic live and in person. 

Here’s our take on Martha’s recipe now…

Gluten and Guilt Free Spaghetti

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 5 minutesCook time: 20 minutesTotal time: 25 minutesServings:2 servings

Instructions

1. Alison Regan

Add all the ingredients to a pot except for spinach and bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.

2. Alison Regan

Add spinach and stir uncovered for a few minutes or until enough water has evaporated and the broth now resembles a thin sauce.

3. Alison Regan

Serve with fresh cracked pepper and salt and any spices you like!

Lastly, we have what I consider the closest thing to a poor Italian college student’s attempt at making authentic Bolognese sauce, but cheap and lazy.

Pappardelle Alla Bolognese

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 5 minutesCook time: 25 minutesTotal time: 30 minutesServings:4 servings

Instructions

1. Alison Regan

Add olive oil and fatty meat (pancetta or bacon) to pot and cook for about 3 minutes until fragrant

2. Alison Regan

Add onion, carrot, and celery to pot and let steam, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.

3. Alison Regan

Add lean beef and stir until browned.

4. Alison Regan

Add tomatoes, wine, and broth and stir for 5 minutes.

5. Drain 1/2 cup of the sauce liquid and return to stove.

6. Alison Regan

Add whole milk and put noodles in bowl of water to soften for 1 minute.

7. Alison Regan

Add noodles to sauce and stir gently. Let simmer for 3 minutes, then serve with salt and pepper to taste. Optionally, top with freshly shredded Pecorino-Romano cheese.

Hey there! My name is Ali Regan. I am an NYU Tisch student who spends all of my time cooking or watching people cook whenever I'm not practicing ballet or rehearsing with my scene partner. I was born in Florida, moved to Pennsylvania, then to Bethesda then Baltimore Maryland! I was lucky to be born into a family that not only loves food but values the culture and community that comes with it. New York is such a food capital, and many come to share their culture and community here through food. I hope to do some of that while I'm here and I could not feel more grateful to be able to do so through Spoon!