Spoon University Logo
beet caprese
beet caprese
Recipes

Switch Up Your Summer Sides With This Roasted Beet Caprese

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at McGill chapter.

Summer’s finally arrived, and along with longer days and less responsibility comes a slew of dinner and cocktail parties. This is the season for entertaining; the warmer days boost your social life like no other. If you’re the host, planning food to make for friends and guests can be stressful; there’s pressure to impress your guests while making sure everyone has something to eat.

A caprese is a classic summer dish that everyone is sure to enjoy – after all it is 50% cheese. But if you have friends who are like me and defy the norm by hating raw tomatoes, give this version a try with roasted beets instead. Beets are a pretty underrated food, having a super long shelf life and being packed with vitamins and nutrients.

Along with some of these 9 essential summer party foods and a refreshing cocktail, you’re sure to throw a delicious foodie bash that won’t disappoint. Raise your glasses and embrace the joys of summer eating!

Roasted Beet Caprese

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 10 minutesCook time: 20 minutesTotal time: 30 minutesServings:4 servings

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 475°F

2. Photo by Nathalie Kent

Slice beets into rounds and lay on a parchment paper – lined baking sheet

3. Photo by Nathalie Kent

Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, the dried rosemary and a pinch of sea salt

4. Photo by Nathalie Kent

Bake for about 20 minutes or until beets are tender and crispy at the edges

5. Photo by Nathalie Kent

Meanwhile, slice the cheese into rounds and set aside

6. Roughly chop the basil and whisk together with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper and salt.

7. To assemble, cut the beet and cheese rounds in half. Layer on a platter and drizzle with the balsamic mixture.