Spoon University Logo
IMG 46411
IMG 46411
Recipes

One-Pot Mashed Potatoes in Under 30 Minutes

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at McGill chapter.

Mashed potatoes: a staple at any potluck, holiday feast, and university student diet. These mashed potatoes are cooked in one pot and can easily be doubled or tripled if you are feeding your friends or are really hungry (no judgment).

A side dish like mashed potatoes should be luscious, creamy, and easy to make. This recipe definitely achieves those qualities. If you are looking to elevate your side dish, feel free to add some cheese, chives, cayenne, the options are endless.

4-Ingredient Mashed Potatoes

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 5 minutesCook time: 20 minutesTotal time: 25 minutesServings:2 servings

Instructions

1. Photo by Helena Lin

Bring a pot of water to the boil. Season with a good amount of salt and add in the clove of garlic.

#SpoonTip: The water should be salted to taste like the ocean.

2. Photo by Helena Lin

Peel and chop potatoes. Add to the boiling water and cook until tender.

3. Drain the water from the potatoes and mash.

4. Photo by Helena Lin

Add the butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper.

#SpoonTip: To ensure your mashed potatoes stay warm until dinnertime, cover them with cling wrap and place over a hot water bath.

Helena Lin

McGill '17

Helena is in her final year studying Psychology at McGill. When not in school (which is as much as possible), you can find Helena recipe testing or exploring new cafes and restaurants in Montreal. Currently, Helena is also studying French cuisine at Le Cordon Bleu and is a food photographer for Foodora. "Some eat to survive, I survive to eat" - Helena Lin