Spoon University Logo
DSC 0492
DSC 0492
Recipes

How to Make Roasted Turkey and Gravy with Just One Pot

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at McGill chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I love Thanksgiving because of the vast quantities of turkey to consume. The gravy, the dark meat, the white meat, I love it all. Unfortunately I am not Joey Tribbiani and am unable to consume a 20-pound turkey with just a few of my friends. Plus, who has time to make a whole turkey anyways?

turkey

This year I have decided to create a roast turkey recipe that tastes just as good as a whole roasted turkey but can be scaled for the number of people you are serving. This recipe is going to allow you to enjoy that Thanksgiving meal without having to spend the whole day in the kitchen.

Turkey and Gravy for Two

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 10 minutesCook time: 50 minutesTotal time:1 hour Servings:2 servings

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

2. DSC 0396

Coat the turkey with oil, season generously with salt and pepper. Place in a oven proof sauté pan or on a baking sheet.

#SpoonTips:

• I recommend wrapping the turkey breast in aluminum foil so that it stays tender as it roasts.
    • Feel free to add herbs such as thyme, rosemary, or bay leaf to give your turkey more flavour.
  3. Place in the oven for 25 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Remove the thighs from the sauté pan and reserve the juices from the turkey breast for the gravy.

4. Photo by Liz Kaplan

While your turkey is in the oven, chop the vegetables into a small dice.

5. Heat the pan that you roasted the turkey in and sauté the vegetables in the pan.

6. Add in the butter until it melts, then sprinkle in the flour and cook for a minute or two.

7. Photo by Helena Lin

Pour in the chicken stock, reserved juices and water. Simmer for 20 minutes. Check for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed.

Strain the gravy through a sieve before serving.

Helena Lin

McGill '17

Helena is in her final year studying Psychology at McGill. When not in school (which is as much as possible), you can find Helena recipe testing or exploring new cafes and restaurants in Montreal. Currently, Helena is also studying French cuisine at Le Cordon Bleu and is a food photographer for Foodora. "Some eat to survive, I survive to eat" - Helena Lin