Spoon University Logo
DSC 00571
DSC 00571
Recipes

This Vegetarian Curry Chicken Salad is Your New Healthy To-Go Lunch Option

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at McGill chapter.

As a vegetarian student who occasionally needs a fast to-go meal before class, I understand the frustration when the only wrapped up sandwich options in the caf are ham and cheese or chicken salad. This recipe is not only a vegetarian alternative, but it’s adding something different by using curry and it’s an easy to-go meal whether you eat it on a sandwich or add it to some greens.

Vegetarian Curry “Chicken” Salad

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 20 minutesCook time: 10 minutesTotal time: 30 minutesServings:3 servings

Instructions

1. Wrap tofu in several layers of paper towels and place a heavy plate or can on top, to allow the liquid to drain. Let the tofu sit for about 25 minutes.

2. Photo by Helena Lin

While the tofu sits, mix together the greek yoghurt, curry, and white wine.

3. Photo by Helena Lin

Chop up the tofu into medium blocks, and place into a bowl. Add the cornstarch and mix together with your hands, slightly tearing the tofu as you mix to create a meat-like texture or appearance.

4. Heat a pan on medium to high heat with about a quarter of a cup of oil (canola or olive), and sautee the tofu for about 12-15 minutes.

(#SpoonTip: add more oil as needed, and breaking up the larger pieces of tofu to continue creating a chicken-like texture.)

5. Photo by Helena Lin

When the tofu is finished cooking, leave it on a baking sheet or in a bowl to cool, then combine with curry and sultanas/raisins.

6. Photo by Helena Lin

Cut open the pita (or preferred bread) and add the lettuce and tofu mixture.