Spoon University Logo
DSC 05172
DSC 05172
Recipes

How to Make Apple Turnovers

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at McGill chapter.

My favourite part about fall is using apples in a multitude of ways whether it be apple sauce, apple pies, apple butter — the list goes on and on. I decided to develop this apple turnover recipe so that I will be able whip up these desserts quickly and easily for the (Canadian) Thanksgiving party I am hosting this weekend.

If you plan on making these turnovers for a special occasion, you can even make them a couple of days in advance and freeze them. All you would have to do is bake them for a longer period of time when you wish to consume these flaky apple pastries.

Apple Turnovers

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 10 minutesCook time: 35 minutesTotal time: 45 minutesServings:4 servings

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

2. Photo by Helena Lin

Cut the apples into thin slices and cut each slice into quarters.

3. DSC 0513

Place the apples, cinnamon, butter, and sugar in a pot and simmer until the apples are soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes.

4. DSC 0516

Meanwhile, cut the puff pastry into squares and place on parchment paper.

5. DSC 0519

Beat the egg in a bowl and dab the edge of the puff pastry with the egg wash.

6. DSC 0525

Fill the middle of the puff pastry and fold over. Use a fork to seal the pastry and coat with egg wash. Make an incision in the pastry.

7. DSC 0507 2

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Helena Lin

McGill '17

Helena is in her final year studying Psychology at McGill. When not in school (which is as much as possible), you can find Helena recipe testing or exploring new cafes and restaurants in Montreal. Currently, Helena is also studying French cuisine at Le Cordon Bleu and is a food photographer for Foodora. "Some eat to survive, I survive to eat" - Helena Lin