Spoon University Logo
dill chickpea 10
dill chickpea 10
Recipes

Brighten Up Your Day With This Mediterranean-Inspired Chickpea Salad

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at McGill chapter.

Last week I went to Café Parvis for the very first time. For the most part the food was pretty good, but I was especially blown away by their chickpea salad. I had never experienced the flavour combination of dill, bocconcini, chickpeas, eggplant and cherry tomatoes which was married together beautifully in a creamy dressing.

Antsy to have the salad again without going back to the restaurant, I decided to try and replicate it at home. This chickpea salad uses Greek yogurt as a part of its dressing to give it added creaminess. In turn, I sautéed onions with the eggplant to add another dimension of sweetness and flavour to the finished salad.

Mediterranean Inspired Chickpea Salad

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 20 minutesCook time: 10 minutesTotal time: 30 minutesServings:2 servings

Instructions

1. Photo by Helena Lin

Mince half an onion. Cut the eggplant into 1 cm slices, and then dice the edges, discarding the centre with the seeds.

2. Photo by Helena Lin

Sauté the onions and eggplant in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as the vegetables cook down.

3. Photo by Helena Lin

Meanwhile, zest and juice half a lemon.

4. Photo by Helena Lin

Pick the fine fronds off a few stems of dill and mince finely.

5. Photo by Helena Lin

Add the Greek yogurt, dill and remaining olive oil to the lemon juice. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

6. Photo by Helena Lin

Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Set aside.

7. Photo by Helena Lin

Drain the the bocconcini from its water using a sieve then cut them in half. Set aside.

8. Photo by Helena Lin

Combine the chickpeas, sautéed onion and eggplant, tomatoes and bocconini in a bowl.

9. Photo by Helena Lin

Add in the dressing and toss to mix. Adjust the seasoning as needed.

Helena Lin

McGill '17

Helena is in her final year studying Psychology at McGill. When not in school (which is as much as possible), you can find Helena recipe testing or exploring new cafes and restaurants in Montreal. Currently, Helena is also studying French cuisine at Le Cordon Bleu and is a food photographer for Foodora. "Some eat to survive, I survive to eat" - Helena Lin