Spoon University Logo
IMG 1546c
IMG 1546c
Recipes

The Best Mug Cake Recipe You’ll Ever Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at KCL chapter.

It’s 9 o’clock in the evening and you’re desperately craving for something sweet — but alas! You don’t have much in the house and you really don’t want to wait 20 minutes for a cake to bake. Well, this is your lucky day because I am coming to your rescue! I am here charitably sharing my secret vegan mug cake recipe, ready in only 3 minutes. You might call it the best mug cake recipe you’ll ever try!

First things first: you really don’t need much for this vegan mug cake recipe.  All of the ingredients are easily replaceable and there are a few ways you can customise it — look for my tips in each step!

vegan mug cake recipe
Heema Gokani

5 tablespoons of flour

1 tablespoon of cocoa powder

Half a teaspoon of a raising agent (e.g. baking powder)

1 tablespoon of oil

2 teaspoons of syrup (e.g. golden or agave)

Plant-based milk (e.g. coconut, oat or almond)

Step 1: mix dry ingredients

vegan mug cake recipe
Heema Gokani

Try to be as thorough as possible when mixing the dry ingredients. You should get a mixture as homogenous as possible.

#customiseit: you can easily mix the flour with a protein flour if you’re someone who works out a lot. Or leave out the cocoa powder completely and turn it into a lemon, confetti or coconut cake!

Step 2: add the oil and the syrup

vegan mug cake recipe
Heema Gokani

You could pre-mix the oil and the syrup together, but it is not necessary.

#customiseit: my favourite syrup to use is actually maple, but anything will work just fine! Also, if you want to make it into a lemon cake, this is the moment where you’d add the juice of half a lemon a bit of lemon zest!

Step 3: add plant based mylk

vegan mug cake recipe
Heema Gokani

Now, this is the tricky and fun part. The consistency you want to get to with the mylk is completely up to you. For a cake-like texture you want to add about 1/2 a cup of liquid. But if you’re a fudgy-cake lover, feel free to add more! 

#customiseit: choose the flavoured mylk that works best with what you’re making, such as hazelnut or oat for chocolate, coconut for a coconut or lemon cake, or soy for a protein punch!

Step 3: mix all the ingredients very well

vegan mug cake recipe
Heema Gokani

Something I hate when I make a mug cake is finding clumps of unmixed flour at the bottom. Trust me, spend a couple of extra seconds mixing – you won’t regret it!

#customiseit: this is for the fans of decadent chocolate cakes: add a square of chocolate in the middle of the mixture and you will have a heart of melty goodness! Or you can add some coconut flakes on top!

Step 4: finally, cook it!

vegan mug cake recipe
Heema Gokani

Now, put your mug in the microwave for 3 minutes exactly. That’s it. Now you have a perfect, delicious, mug cake!