Spoon University Logo
IMG 8562 1
IMG 8562 1
Recipes

This Homemade Rum-Pineapple Syrup Is Better Than a Piña Colada

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at JWU Providence chapter.

If you like piña coladas, and getting caught in the rain… we have a perfect syrup for you, but we can’t do much about the rain part.

Pineapple

Throwing a luau? We’ve got you. This pineapple syrup is perfect for your rum-based and tiki-style drink needs. Plus, it saves the time and mess of cutting up pineapples and the cost of purchasing them out-of-season. Just have this awesome pineapple syrup prepared and on-hand. You’ve got this.

Pineapple Syrup

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 5 minutesCook time:5 hours Total time: 5 minutesServings: servings

Instructions

1. Photo by Parker Luthman

Trim both ends of the pineapple, then cut it crosswise into ¾-inch slices.

2. Photo by Parker Luthman

Cut those slices into 8 wedges.

#SpoonTip: Cutting off the peel is optional, but suggested.

3. Photo by Parker Luthman

Combine the pineapples wedges and simple syrup in a large bowl and leave to macerate for at least 5 hours in the refrigerator. Stir or mash the fruit lightly every 2 hours.

#SpoonTip: Letting the fruit macerate longer extracts more flavor out of it for more pineapple goodness. However, 24 hours should be the max amount of time.

4. Photo by Parker Luthman

Strain out all of the syrup through a mesh strainer.

5. Photo by Parker Luthman

Press on the pineapple to extract as much liquid as possible.

6. Photo by Parker Luthman

Bottle and refrigerate for up to two weeks.

Nicole is a junior at Johnson & Wales studying Baking & Pastry Arts and Sports/Entertainment/Event Management. Although she loves to bake, she doesn't like to eat a large majority of sweets, and prefers to give it to friends. She is an Instagram-guru (follow her - @nicole_alberta) who is looking for a career in special events management with a focus on food, and has a passion for food writing and photography.. Her pet peeves include people who chew with their mouth open, or when people take food off of her plate (seriously, don't do it).