Spoon University Logo
featured image1 e1445895889891
featured image1 e1445895889891
Recipes

These Stuffed Mexican Bell Peppers Slay the Appetizer Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at FSU chapter.

This recipe features a number of healthy ingredients that will be a perfect side addition to any Mexican style meal, or you can keep them all to yourself for a filling and plant-based protein packed entrée. It’s an easy recipe, but you’ll impress your friends with the awesome taste and professional looking presentation.

To keep all my fellow vegetarians happy and guilt-free, make sure you are buying vegetarian refried beans because they are normally made with animal lard unless otherwise specified.

Refried Bean Bell Pepper Poppers

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 10 minutesCook time: 10 minutesTotal time: 25 minutesServings:2 servings

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.

2. step 2

Rinse and cut the bell peppers by carefully cutting a circle around the stem and pulling out the insides and the seeds. Once the stems and seeds are removed, cut each bell pepper into thirds.

3. step 3

In a medium sized bowl, mix together the refried beans, corn, minced garlic cloves, onions, crushed red pepper, and cilantro.

#SpoonTip: Save some cilantro for the end if you want to garnish the peppers and make them even more photogenic.

4. step 4

Scoop a spoonful of the refried bean mixture into each bell pepper arranged on a greased baking sheet.

5. step 5

Garnish with a generous sprinkle of shredded cheese.

6. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the peppers are soft and the cheese is melted.

7. step 7

In a separate small bowl, score and empty the avocado and add the lemon juice and salt to your taste.

8. step 8

When the peppers are ready, remove from the oven and add the avocado mixture to each pepper and garnish with any remaining cilantro.

9. final e1445895267147

Enjoy!