Spoon University Logo
Screen Shot 2019 10 31 at 3.05.25 PM
Screen Shot 2019 10 31 at 3.05.25 PM
Recipes

This DIY Greek Yogurt Bowl Will Be Your New Fave Breakfast

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at FIU chapter.

I am OBSESSED with greek yogurt. I always either start or end every day with a delicious, creamy nutrient-dense greek yogurt bowl. Why? Because it is super tasty, as well as an incredible source of high-quality protein. Greek yogurt also contains plenty of probiotics, which improve ones health by supporting a healthy gut microbiome, and vitamins and minerals, such as calcium, potassium, and vitamin B12.

Yogurt bowls are a fun and easy meal that you can dress up in many ways to suit your taste buds and give yourself essential nutrition. To give some inspiration, I created a simple guide on how to choose the best toppings to create a nutrient-dense greek yogurt bowl that will keep you satisfied and energized for hours. Take a look!

The Base – Yogurt.

If you are unsure of what type of greek yogurt to pick, check out this article for a rundown of the best options in the store. I always pick a fat-free yogurt. My go-to is Fage 0%. Just one container of their 0% fat greek yogurt contains 18 grams of protein! If I know I will be working out hard that day, I will stir in some of my favorite protein powder to up the protein content.

Next – Add Carbs.

Carbs are the macronutrient that primarily fuel our body. Choosing a good source of carbohydrates is important for providing the body with the energy it needs to carry out its day-to-day functions. I opt for frozen berries, as they tend to be cheaper and last longer, but fresh berries are just as, if not more, delicious. Some ideas to choose from: frozen raspberries, frozen blueberries, frozen mango (my personal favorite), sliced banana, whole grain/high fiber cereal, oats, kamut, or granola. Feel free to get creative!

Lastly – Healthy Fats!

Fats are a critical part of the diet as they help the body properly absorb nutrients. Fats usually get a bad rep, which is why it is key to know which fats are “good” for the body. Choosing fats high in omega-3 fatty acids are very beneficial to ones health, as they have anti-inflammatory properties and contribute to a healthy brain. Some examples are walnuts, flaxseeds, macadamia nuts, almond butter, peanut butter (a classic), or sunflower seed butter (a super delicious alternative to almond or peanut butter!).

Finally – Enjoy!

Use this guide whenever you are craving a sweet, nutritionally-balanced, healthy treat. It is a great breakfast, snack or dessert option to keep your body fueled and ready for the day. Have fun getting creative to your heart’s content!

big fan of good coffee, good food & lifting weightsnutrition & dietetics major at fiu check out more of my recipes at nourishedbyneeve.com