Spoon University Logo
IMG 6720
IMG 6720
Recipes

These Chocolate Cupcakes Are Stuffed With 2 Oreo Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Denison chapter.

The Oreo has been around for over 100 years, and yet it never gets old. Maybe it’s because Oreo keeps reinventing itself with wacky flavors, or maybe it’s because people keep coming up with new Oreo-inspired recipes. Either way, I’m not complaining.

I was given this Oreo cupcake recipe from a friend, and I reinvented it a bit by making it a two layer Oreo cupcake. The combination of Devil’s food cake, homemade buttercream frosting, and Oreos of all kinds (I used original and mint) gives you a cupcake that—simply put—is to die for. 

Oreo Layer Cupcakes

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 10 minutesCook time: 15 minutesTotal time: 25 minutesServings:10 servings

Instructions

1. Emma Olsen

Preheat the oven to the temperature according to your cake mix and put the cupcake liners in the pan (I used cupcake liners that you can put right on a cookie sheet).

2. Emma Olsen

Mix the Devil’s food cake mix following the instructions on the box.

3. Emma Olsen

Place one Oreo in the bottom of each cupcake liner. Pour the cake batter over the Oreo until it is completely covered.

4. Emma Olsen

Place another Oreo over the cake batter and then cover it again with cake mix.

5. Emma Olsen

Once the cupcakes are prepped, place them in the oven. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean.

#spoontip: Keep a close eye on them. They may bake faster than the time stated on the cake mix box.

6. Emma Olsen

While the cupcakes are baking, begin making the frosting. First, pulverize the Oreos (as many as desired), which you’ll later put into the homemade buttercream frosting.

7. Emma Olsen

Begin by beating the butter and powdered sugar. Gradually add in the vanilla and milk. Keep adding milk until the frosting is a smooth and spreadable texture.

8. Emma Olsen

Once the buttercream frosting is done, add in the pulverized Oreos.

9. Emma Olsen

Frost the cupcakes and garnish with an Oreo on top.

#SpoonTip: Don’t forget to wait for the cupcakes to cool before frosting them!

Well, there you have it. The ultimate cupcake for both Oreo and chocolate lovers alike. If this over-the-top Oreo cupcake recipe wasn’t enough for you, then be sure to check out these recipes. 

Emma Olsen

Denison '19