Spoon University Logo
Screen Shot 2017 02 27 at 7.30.36 PM
Screen Shot 2017 02 27 at 7.30.36 PM
Recipes

How to Make Chilaquiles, a Traditional Mexican Dish!

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at CU Boulder chapter.

Chilaquiles is an authentic Mexican dish usually made for breakfast. It’s the perfect meal on a Saturday or Sunday morning and also amazing if you’re vegetarian.  If you are not vegetarian, this recipe is great served with cooked chicken or pork. Don’t worry this isn’t a complicated dish. The ingredients are simple!

You should experiment with the ingredients and see if there are any additional vegetables or seasonings that can be added to the salsa. Good sides to have with this dish can be refried beans, french baguette bread, and avocado.

What you are going to need is..

Chilaquiles gif
Kevin Sanchez-Pena

Chilaquiles gif
Kevin Sanchez-Pena

Chilaquiles gif
Kevin Sanchez-Pena

Chilaquiles

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 10 minutesCook time: 10 minutesTotal time: 20 minutesServings:2 servings

Instructions

1. Boiling tomatoes jalapenos

To create the salsa, boil the tomatoes and jalapeños in water for about 3-5 min.

2. other ingredients to blend

While the tomatoes and jalapeños are boiling, add 1 clove of garlic, 2-3 spoons of diced onions, and 1 cube of chicken bouillon into a blending cup.

3. blendinggg

Once the tomatoes and jalapeños are finished, slice them up and add them into the blender, add about half a cup of water, then BLEND!

4. Heating up oil adding salsa

Once blending is done, add a quarter cup of oil to the pot. Let the oil cook on low for about 3 mins and then add your salsa.

5. Salsa and chips

Cook your salsa for about 3-5 mins on high. Once it is cooked enough turn heat back to low and add your chips in the salsa!

6. stir and let sit

Stir the chips in the salsa for approximately 5 mins, until the texture is perfect and let it sit and cool.

7. add your toppings

Once the chips and salsa are perfectly made into one, start adding whatever toppings you’d like. For me I love to add queso fresco and crema Mexicana!

8. EAT

Now that you have created your masterpiece, DIG IN!!!!

Brian Kaplan

CU Boulder '17

Hi I'm Brian! I love movies and food, what more could you ask for?!
Kevin Sanchez-Pena

CU Boulder '18

I grew up in the D.C. Metro area, constantly surrounded by urbanism. My goal is to become an editor for a tv or movie company, I would love to live in Germany. Bayern Munich & New York Giants are the sports teams I support.