Spoon University Logo
feature image e1433214731658
feature image e1433214731658
Recipes

How to Make Everyone’s Favorite Ice Cream Flavors from Scratch

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Cornell chapter.

This recipe for homemade ice cream is pretty straightforward: cream, eggs and a crap ton of freezing, stirring and repeating. The best part? You can completely customize your flavor – whether you choose to go the fruit route or hurl #stacksonstacks of Oreos into your mixture is completely up to you.

Cookies ‘n Cream Ice Cream

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 40 minutesCook time: 4 minutesTotal time:5 hours Servings:1 servings

Instructions

1. IMG 0343

Combine the milk, cream, sugar and vanilla extract in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently for about 10 minutes or until it just begins to bubble around the edges (don’t let it boil). Turn off the heat.

2. IMG 0357

In a separate bowl, beat the yolk. Add half of the heated milk mixture while constantly whisking the yolk.

3. IMG 0377

Pour the yolk mixture back into the saucepan and continue to stir. Turn the heat back to medium and whisk the mixture until it thickens.

4. IMG 0388

Transfer mixture to an ice bath (which is a small bowl inside of a larger bowl filled with ice water) and let it sit in the fridge for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, transfer to a freezer-safe bowl and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

5. IMG 0405

Remove from freezer, stir mixture rapidly with a whisk (or use an electric mixer) to break up the partially frozen ice cream, and then return to freezer. Repeat 4-5 times until the mixture is thick and creamy.

6. IMG 0467

Once the mixture has frozen and thickened, pour it into an air-tight container, stopping to add in layers of Oreos.

7. IMG 0472

Freeze for about 3-4 hours or overnight.

Strawberry Ice Cream

Instructions

1. IMG 0418

Wash, trim and slice strawberries; puree half, and leave the other half sliced. Set aside.

2. IMG 0366

Follow steps 1-3 above, leaving out the vanilla extract.

3. IMG 0452

Combine mixture and strawberry puree in an ice bath. Place in fridge for 20 minutes.

4. IMG 0610

Dice the remaining un-pureed strawberries.

5. IMG 0614

Repeat steps 5-8 above, substituting the diced strawberries for the Oreos.

Coffee Oreo Ice Cream

Instructions

1. IMG 0502

Heat whole milk on medium-low heat until just before it simmers. Add coffee grounds and turn heat to low. Steep coffee for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and steep for 10 more minutes.

2. IMG 0543

Strain mixture through a cheesecloth and return to saucepan with heat on medium.

3. IMG 0566

Add in the sugar, cream and skim milk, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes.

4. IMG 0598

Follow steps 2-8 from original recipe.

5. FullSizeRender 4