Spoon University Logo
IMG 2340 4
IMG 2340 4
Recipes

Get Cozy with These Buttermilk Yamcakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Chapel Hill chapter.

Buttermilk pancakes are a classic go-to, and pumpkin buttermilk pancakes are a fall favorite. But as pumpkin spice season continues, having pumpkin in everything might be losing its appeal. Yams are a great alternative to pumpkins while still having that warm and cozy fall vibe. These buttermilk yamcakes are a breakfast with fall in every bite!

Buttermilk Yamcakes

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 10 minutesCook time:1 hour Total time:1 hour 10 minutesServings:8 servings

Instructions

1. Sarah Choi
    In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger, and allspice.
  2. Sarah Choi
    Add the buttermilk and melted butter into the mixture. Crack the eggs into the mixture and whisk everything together until the mixture is homogeneous.
  3. Sarah Choi
    Strain the yams, setting aside the syrup in a separate bowl. Blend until puréed and add gradually into the mixture, stirring.
  4. Heat a pan or skillet (cast iron strongly recommended!) on low and add enough oil to coat the bottom. Turn the heat to medium and pour ⅓ cup of batter into the pan.
  5. Sarah Choi
    Flip the pancakes once they are golden brown, around 3 minutes on each side, then cook until the rest of the pancake is also golden brown.
  6. Sarah Choi
    Serve!

These pancakes are filling and still scream fall without the pumpkin! They’re sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any breakfast table.

Sarah Choi

Chapel Hill '24