Spoon University Logo
IMG 1105
IMG 1105
Recipes

How to Make Vegan Dulce de Leche

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at Binghamton chapter.

Dulce de leche is usually made from sweetened condensed milk, water and a lot of time. This recipe for vegan dulce de leche is not so different. All you need is a nut milk, some coconut sugar and well, a lot of time, but it’ll be worth the wait. Dulce de leche is no longer just for the dairy eaters, but the plant eaters too.

Vegan Dulce de Leche

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 5 minutesCook time: 5 minutesTotal time: 5 minutesServings:12 servings

Instructions

1. Photo by Christina Millan

Place a large pot over medium heat. Pour the entire carton of milk in the pot.

2. Photo by Christina Millan

Add the coconut sugar to the milk.

3. GIF by Christina Millan on giphy.com

Whisk well to combine the sugar and milk.

4. Photo by Christina Millan

Reduce to low heat and allow to simmer uncovered for approximately 5 hours and 20 minutes.

5. Photo by Christina Millan

Whisk every 30 minutes to make sure that the mixture is reducing. You will start to notice a film develop on top and reduction after 30 minutes, that means it’s working!

6. Photo by Christina Millan

The mixture will have reduced to approximately 6 ounces and will begin to have a thick brown consistency after five hours; for the final 20 minutes, keep a close eye so that it doesn’t burn.

7. GIF by Christina Millan on giphy.com

Once it’s finished transfer to a glass container to cool and enjoy!

Christina is a part of the 2018 graduating class at SUNY Binghamton. She is a writer and photographer for SUNY Bing's Spoon Chapter. She is an ovo-lacto vegetarian and enjoys cooking for alternative diets. Christina is obsessed with smoothies and could drink them for every meal--she actually has tried. She is fascinated with the history of food, the relationships people have with food and hopes to help the world, one meal at a time.