As Phoebe Buffet once said, “He’s her lobster!” and what rings in the summer season more than a lobster roll? Being one of New England’s prized possessions, lobster rolls have reeled in customers everywhere. I mean, chunks of crustacean hugged by a toasted roll and soaked in warm butter, who could resist? However, the ongoing debate as to who reigns supreme when it comes to the title of best lobster roll continues. Of course, shacks like Red’s Eats and the Seafood Shanty are in the running, but what about some of the underdogs like Bite Into Maine and The Clam Shack? Growing up in a Portuguese household, I have grown up eating and loving all kinds of seafood that my family’s recipes are centered around. From crab to octopus and sardines, I have never shied away from any kind of fish, especially lobster. I look forward to this meal every year, and so here are some of the best pit stops to make throughout your lobster roll crawl this summer season.

Red’s Eats

Of course, at the top of our list, we have the famous Red’s Lobster Roll in Wiscasset, Maine. Served with a side of butter or mayo, a warm buttery roll is hidden under the heaping mountain of fresh lobster tail and claw meat piled on top. Sold at market price, which is typically around $30 to $35, each bite is certainly worth every dollar.

Seafood Shanty

Foodies all over TikTok have been raving about this lobster roll from Cape Cod. The Seafood Shanty has been around since the 1950s, and it has been serving fan-favorite food ever since. Priced at $31, the buttered roll is buried beneath mounds of lobster meat that could serve more than one person. Cooked and buttered to perfection, the Shanty is definitely a go-to spot.

5 Islands Lobster Co.

One of the most scenic places where you'll be able to enjoy your lobster roll is located in the heart of Georgetown, Maine. 5 Islands Lobster Co. catches its lobster daily to ensure that it’s fresh for the famous rolls. On top of the grilled bun with some lettuce, butter, and a hint of mayo, this lobster roll combines all the flavors that make this summer meal perfect. A side of the fries also makes a perfect addition.

Rye Harbor Lobster Pound

Located in Rye, New Hampshire, this seafood shack has perfected the lobster roll and bisque. This roll can be served warm, and they’re a bit less heavy on the butter if that’s your preference. But don’t worry, you’ll have a pile of fresh lobster meat to cure your craving. Make sure to also check out the Chunky Lobster Bisque, served hot and ready with heaps of lobster meat for you to indulge in.

The Clam Shack

Located in the charming town of Kennebunkport, Maine, The Clam Shack has been capturing the hearts of people everywhere with its must-try lobster roll. Instead of a hot dog roll, its fresh lobster meat is piled perfectly on top of a toasted sandwich roll. Served with a side of fries and the freshly squeezed lemonade, how could you go wrong?

Eventide Oyster Co.

In the heart of Portland, Maine, Eventide Oyster Co. provides customers with a modern twist on seafood. The brown-butter lobster roll is inspired by Asian recipes and placed on top of a delicious bao bun. The warm and fluffy steamed dough holds the perfect portion of lobster and adds a slightly sweet twist to this seafood staple.

Bite Into Maine

Another shack located outside of Portland, Maine, the lobster roll from Bite Into Maine has been deemed another fan favorite. Served cold and mixed in with mayo, or warm and drizzled in butter, the chunks of fresh lobster meat are a seafood lover's dream. The rolls are buttered and toasted to perfection, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

Monahan’s Clam Shack by the Sea

Located in the perfect coastal town of Narragansett, Rhode Island, Monahan’s knows how to serve up the perfect lobster roll whether you like it cold or hot. The tender lobster chunks are hugged by a perfectly toasted roll, and the homemade seasoning adds another level of flavor. Monahan’s is the perfect spot to go for a meal that overlooks the sea. The clam cakes are also to die for!

Claws

Located in the Lobster Capital of the World, Claws in Rockland, Maine prides themselves in its famous lobster roll. You’re given options of a roll mixed in with mayo, hot butter, or even the signature honey butter. The menu also features Maine Lobster Stuffed Doughnuts. Sprinkled with a combo of honey butter and powdered sugar, it’s a dish that feels so wrong but just tastes so right.

McLoons Lobster Shack

This shack located about an hour and a half outside of Portland, Maine is certainly worth the drive. Accompanied by waterfront views, McLoons Lobster Shack knows how to serve a lobster roll that is prepared to perfection. With the perfect ratio of roll to lobster meat, and served with a cup of warm butter, your mouth will be watering. The menu also features other highly-rated items including homemade lobster stew.