The day that Trader Joe’s began stocking their shelves with this magical jar of creamy cookie spread (aka cookie butter) started a new era. As we’ve discovered it can be put on anything from apples to pancakes. Each jar is priced at $3.69, which can get a little pricey for a college student on a budget who constantly needs it in their diet (cough, cough, me). Now, there is another way to afford this dorm room necessity.

I present to you, homemade Speculoos cookie butter, (including the cookies):

Medium

Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 16 min
Total Time: 36 min

Servings: About 11 ounces

For the speculoos cookies:

¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground clove
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar
1 ½ tablespoons honey

For the cookie butter:

1 batch homemade Speculoos cookies
¼ cup sifted confectioners’ sugar (plus some if you want a sweeter cookie butter)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 ½ tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon allspice
¼ cup canola oil, or any neutral flavored oil

cookie butter

Photo by Dorothy Ballowe

For the cookies

1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the graham cracker crumbs, flour and spices in a medium mixing bowl, set aside.

cookie butter

Photo by Dorothy Ballowe

3. Cream the butter and brown sugar in a stand mixer on medium-high speed until ingredients are well incorporated.

cookie butter

Photo by Dorothy Ballowe

4. Add in half of the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture. Mix only until incorporated, then add the granulated sugar and honey, mix until combined. Add the rest of the flour.

cookie butter

Photo by Dorothy Ballowe

5. Scoop out equal-sized balls of dough, and space evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten each dough ball lightly with the palm of your hand. Bake the cookies for 14 to 16 minutes, or until the cookie has noticeably darkened in color.

cookie butter

Photo by Dorothy Ballowe

For the cookie butter:

1. Toss the Speculoos cookies into a food processor, and process on high, until cookies are finely crushed. Measure out 1 ¼ cup of ground cookies.

cookie butter

Photo by Dorothy Ballowe

2. Add confectioners’ sugar, granulated sugar, nonfat dry milk powder and spices to the measured-out cookie crumbs. Process just to combine, then add the oil and process some more.

cookie butter

Photo by Dorothy Ballowe

3. Cookie butter will firm up as it cools and some oils may surface. Stir before enjoying, and store at room temperature away from direct heat for up to five days.

Photo by Dorothy Ballowe

Recipe courtesy of Yahoo.

If you’re looking for more delicious cookie recipes, check out these articles: