Now that it’s March, spring break is just over the horizon. If you’re like the majority of students, you’re probably counting down the days until break begins and your week of freedom commences. Whether you’re going with the traditional fun and sun option, or sticking to cozy cabins and snowy hills, you’ll be sure to want a cocktail in hand as you take a break from school-time stress. No matter your destination, this Mango Mezcal Michelada spring break cocktail is a must-have.

What’s a Michelada?

Michelada is a traditionally Mexican drink that includes beer, lime juice, assorted chili-based sauces, tomato juice, and chili peppers. However, some of my favorite versions have been just beer, lime juice, and salt—an incredibly refreshing combination. There are plenty of different recipes for you to play around with out there, like this one with Clamato juice and Worcestershire sauce.

Nicole Chen

What makes this cocktail different?

This spring break cocktail is a smoky and sweet twist on the classic. The addition of mezcal, an agave-based liquor, adds a smoky aroma due to its production process, which involves cooking the hearts of the agave plant in pits and then fermenting them. To balance the strong mezcal punch, mango juice adds a hint of sweetness and a rich tropical body to the drink, so you really feel the spring break vibes. And since citrus is an indispensable part of Mexican cuisine, I added some lime juice to give this Mango Mezcal Michelada cocktail a tart kick. 

#SpoonTip: Feel free to play around with different hot sauces to add an extra punch to this cocktail. Cholula or Tapatío are two great options to start with.

Nicole Chen

What type of beer should I use?

This Mango Mezcal Michelada cocktail will taste best with a light Mexican beer. There are plenty of brands to choose from, including Tecate or Modelo Especial, both of which should be available in your local grocery chain or any bodega. I would not recommend using an IPA or stout for this cocktail, but feel free to experiment with more sour ales. I would recommend a Berliner Weisse, which often doesn’t use hops and therefore doesn’t have that bitter taste associated with IPAs. The most important part is that the beer is cold right up until you make the drink. Warm beer is nobody’s idea of a good time.

How do I make this cocktail look its best?

The Mango Mezcal Michelada cocktail looks, and tastes, best with a tajín rim. Tajín is a popular Mexican seasoning made from limes, chili peppers, and salt. However, feel free to make your own rim with either chili powder or salt or both. You can also garnish with a lime wedge just before serving for a great pop of color.

Mango Mezcal Michelada

• Cook Time:0

• 1.5 oz mezcal
  • 1 oz lime juice
  • 3 oz mango juice
  • Light Mexican beer
  • Tajín or homemade chili-salt
  • Ice
Nicole Chen

In a cocktail shaker, combine mezcal, lime juice, mango juice, and ice and shake well.

Nicole Chen

Moisten the rim of a glass with water and dip into a shallow bowl of Tajín or chili-salt.

Nicole Chen

Pour cocktail shaker into glass and top off with cold beer.

Nicole Chen

Garnish with a lime wedge and serve immediately.

Nicole Chen

Still trying to figure out what to do to enjoy your spring break to its fullest? This Mango Mezcal Michelada cocktail is the answer to all of your spring break prayers. With its bright and refreshing flavors, balanced out by the smoky mezcal, this cocktail will transform your holiday into a tropical paradise, no matter where in the world you are.