Wake up, study, sleep, and repeat—this is the basic formula of any college student’s daily routine. It's often tempting to grab a smoothie on the go instead of eating something more substantial, like pancakes and eggs. While many nutritional scientists still debate the importance of breakfast, sitting down and having a morning meal is widely recognized as an easy way to boost productivity (after all, you can’t spell breakfast without “break”). This said, there is no better way to start off your day than eating these berry smoothie pancakes.

Berry smoothie pancakes are exactly what they sound like: a marriage between a berry smoothie and pancake batter. The tangy flavor of a berry smoothie combines perfectly with the sweetness of a traditional pancake, while also adding nutritional value. Blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are known to contain high amounts of antioxidants and vitamins. Meanwhile, you gain protein, calcium, and probiotics from the yogurt, which prevent cancer. 

Berry Smoothie Pancakes

• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup mixed berries frozen preferred
  • 2 bananas
  • 4 oz plain or Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips optional
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Chloe Lee

In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

Chloe Lee

Separate egg yolks and egg whites into separate bowls. In one bowl, beat egg yolks using a fork.

Chloe Lee

Use a hand mixer to whisk together egg whites to form meringue. Stop until soft white peaks form.

#SpoonTip: If you're unsure whether your meringue is ready, flip the bowl upside down above a sink. If nothing drops, your meringue is ready.

Chloe Lee

Combine berries, yogurt, and banana in a blender and blend together. The texture of the mixture should be thick and smooth.

#SpoonTip: If you do not want to have seeds in your pancake, use a sieve to separate seeds from the smoothie mixture.

Chloe Lee

Carefully mix smoothie into flour batter with a rubber spatula.

Chloe Lee

Add egg yolk and vanilla mixture into batter and carefully stir until completely incorporated.

Chloe Lee

Carefully fold meringue into batter. Be careful not to overmix batter; doing so will allow the air you whipped into the meringue to escape and prevent your pancakes from rising high.

#SpoonTip: Don't worry if your batter is a different color from the picture. Depending on the types and proportion of berries you use, the color will vary.

Chloe Lee

Optional: Mix chocolate chips into batter until they are fully incorporated and evenly distributed.

Chloe Lee

Warm up a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add oil, or spray pan with cooking spray. Once pan is heated (oil will easily slide around the pan), add 1/2 cup of pancake batter. Immediately cover skillet with a glass lid, and cook on low heat. This will allow pancakes to rise slowly. After five minutes or until the bottom side has golden brown grill marks, remove pancake and allow to cool. Repeat with remaining batter, and add additional vegetable oil or cooking spray as needed. Once done, add preferred topping.

Chloe Lee

These soft and bouncy pancakes are a great way to start off your day. Taking time to have a nutritious breakfast will help energize you for the rest of the day and boost your productivity. Next time you have a little extra time in the morning, don't skip out on breakfast; instead, enjoy the sensation of sweet smoothie pancakes melting in your mouth.