You may be wondering what BAM is.  The Chai BAM recipe is short for banana-almond muffins, otherwise known as Chai BAMs.  They're like the Grandmaster-muffins of martial arts. Plus who doesn't like to say Chai BAM? Does that make sense? Of course it does.

KABOOM! I mean, CHAI BAM!   

But first let's talk about those bananas in your kitchen — they're getting browner by the minute. Of all the fruits, bananas are the most sensitive, like that one Natasha Bedingfield song — 

"I bruise easily, so be gentle when you handle me..." 

You get my point, bananas don't stay perfect forever, but bruises are like the badges of honor to bananas who refused to give up. Throwing them in the garbage would be an act of treason. In fact, there's many ways  you can use overripe bananas, but for now, let's feed your inner Qi with chai banana-almond muffins.

Adapted from this recipe.

Banana Almond Muffins

• 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoon cream tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large bananas mashed
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon almond emulsion
  • 1 1/2 tsp chai spice
  • 1/3 cup butter melted
Ellen Gibbs

Combine the wet ingredients and dry ingredients in two separate bowls.

Ellen Gibbs

Fold in the wet ingredients until blended and the batter is thick and has a cake-like texture

Ellen Gibbs

Scoop batter into greased muffin tins, about two-thirds of the way full.

Ellen Gibbs

Bake in a 350°F oven for 17 to 20 minutes. Invert muffins onto a cooling rack.

Ellen Gibbs

Next time you have overripe bananas (which won't take long if you already have bananas lying around) try them in a muffin recipe. Don't always go traditional, instead of vanilla extract, try almond extract. You might be surprised what amazing flavors pair well with bananas, like the ones in these dense, cake-like, spiced muffins.