Oh fried rice.... the one dish that is perfect as an entrée, main dish, side dish and dare I be bold enough to say dessert? Just kidding of course. But, if I could write an ode to any one food in particular, it would probably be fried rice. Super simple to make, yet so delicious. Everyone loves to eat fried rice, which is usually the traditional Asian dish. However, many people have not heard of nor have they ever had the opportunity to try the West African (typically Nigeria & Ghana) version. Prepare to indulge your tastebuds with this recipe for Nigerian fried rice. You don't have to break the bank to make this dish. Oh, and this version is vegan too!

Nigerian Vegetable Fried Rice

• 2 cups rice - basmati or long grain parboiled if using long grain
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 medium-sized bag frozen vegetables - make sure it has sweet corn as this is a staple in the dish
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 2 teaspoons red chilli pepper - feel free to amp up the heat
  • 4 teaspoons all purpose seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon tumeric
  • 1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
  • 4 table spoons olive oil
vegetable, tomato, carrot, pepper
Christin Urso

In a large pot, bring rice to a boil. Add in 1 part curry and all purpose seasoning, 1 teaspoon of tumeric, 4 bay leaves and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir the mixture and leave to boil for 15 - 25 mins until dry. The timing will depend on the type of rice used (15 for basmati and 25 for long grain). Try to avoid using more water than needed as you don't want the rice to become overly soft. So, try to use your discretion. Take rice off the heat to cool when done.

Stephanie Idemeko

In a large wok or pan placed on medium heat, heat the olive oil slightly. Proceed to add your frozen veggies and all the remaining spices. Stir fry for 3-5 mins.

vegetable, pepper, carrot, onion, stir-fry, saute
    Jedd Marrero

Next, add the rice in batches and combine well with the veggie fry, making sure it is thoroughly stirred in. Taste for seasoning and make sure it is to your liking. Place a lid on the pan and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
    Your rice is now ready to be served! Enjoy with your favorite protein :)

rice, chicken, broccoli, stir-fry
    Zoe Gavil