You may be wondering if it’s socially acceptable to eat dessert for breakfast. The answer is absolutely. Indulge and satisfy your sweet tooth with this chocolatey french toast. Just another reason to skip hitting the snooze button in the morning.

It’s loaded with a creamy peanut butter filling and topped with chopped nuts. No syrup necessary.

Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Brownie French Toast

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes

• 1/2 cup low fat/skim milk
  • 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoon raw sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 4 slices of your bread of choice (sweet, white, grain or sourdough)
  • 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
  • 3 tablespoon cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or sugar)
  • Crushed nuts
Photo by Emma Lally

First, whisk together the milk, cocoa powder and sugar until dissolved. It’s okay if there are still small lumps. Add in the egg and the vanilla, and continue to whisk until everything is combined. Set aside.

Gif by Emma Lally

Add the peanut butter, cream cheese, and syrup to a small bowl and whisk together to make the peanut butter cheesecake mix.

Gif by Emma Lally

Divide the ‘cheesecake’ mixture between two pieces of bread, and spread them with the mixture.

Gif by Emma Lally

Top with remaining bread slices. Dip each ‘sandwich’ into the chocolate egg wash. Turn to evenly coat.

Gif by Emma Lally

Heat a nonstick pan/griddle over medium heat and lightly grease with butter.

Cover pan with a lid. Fry on both sides until a darker brown and firm to the touch on the outside, and cooked through.

Gif by Emma Lally

Serve and sprinkle crushed nuts.

Gif by Emma Lally