With the help of our friends at Whole Foods, our Spoon chapter at CUA threw a Friendsgiving celebration this year! We came together and all made different parts of Thanksgiving dinner. I was (possibly unwisely) entrusted with the task of baking a classic pumpkin pie. Here is my twist on the recipe of this dessert and/or breakfast the morning after Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin Pie

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 10 mins

• 1 15. oz can 365 Everyday Value® 100% Pure Pumpkin
  • 1 12 fl oz can 365 Everyday Value® 365 Organic Evaporated Milk - Lactose free whole milk also works
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 unbaked pie shell; 9-inch fits most pie plates
Caroline Shagnea

Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix sugar, cloves, and cinnamon into a small bowl. Set aside.

Caroline Shagnea

Mix pumpkin, eggs, and the spice mixture together in a large bowl.

Caroline Shagnea

Gradually mix in evaporated milk.

Caroline Shagnea

Pour generously into pie shell - nobody likes a wimpy pumpkin pie.

Caroline Shagnea

Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. Decrease temperature to 350°F and bake for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Refrigerate or serve right away with a ton of whipped cream.

Caroline Shagnea

Bam. Now, when Aunt Brenda inevitably comments on the political state of our country and/or your lack of a significant other, you can both distract and amaze her by whipping out this decadent, rich, pumpkin pie. 

Make sure you allot enough time to do this, because it always takes longer than you think it will. In my household, the night before Thanksgiving is officially 'Caroline agonizes over how done the pumpkin pies are even though they have been in the oven for over an hour' night. Praying to the patron saints of baking, St. Honoré of Amiens and St. Elizabeth of Hungary, is an optional step. 

Here is a bonus #SpoonTip: The bag itself from your Whole Foods purchase can also be utilized, as shown by my cat, Murdock.

Caroline Shagnea

Disclaimer: Murdock does not come with most Whole Foods purchases.

Special thanks to Whole Foods for donating the grub for our Friendsgiving.

And a big thanks to Whole Foods for donating the grub for our Friendsgiving!