Aloha! Today I'll be sharing how to create one of my favorite dishes: a One-pan Shoyu Garlic Glazed Salmon Dinner.  It doesn't require many ingredients or kitchen tools.  

With growing up on the islands and coming from a fisherman's family, eating fish was a routine part of my life. Since moving to the mainland for college (and being landlocked while doing so), I found it was much harder for me to indulge in what I call one of my personal delicacies. Not too long after, I quickly found the dish that satisfied my cravings of anything related to a poke bowl or sushi: Salmon.  Now, while I don't remember eating much salmon growing up, it somehow became the backbone of my diet very quickly.

Salmon has so many great benefits, like having high omega-3 fatty acid content, which can lower your risk for disease! When cooked properly, the fish has a mild flavor that's buttery and soft.  Made countless times by myself over the past few years, this meal can be made with common ingredients you might have laying around. 

The best part about this meal is that a majority of your cooking only uses a singular baking sheet!  Not only does it allow you to clean up while your items are in the oven, but allows an even easier cleanup after your meal, only needing to toss away the aluminum foil and giving your utensils a good scrub!

For non-food items in this One-pan Shoyu Garlic Glazed Salmon Dinner, you will need:

- A rice maker, or a deep saucepan with a lid

- A baking sheet

- Aluminum foil (for even less mess)

- A bowl

- A cutting board

- A spoon or something to mix with 

Optional: A splash of honey (for the glaze), 1/4th of an avocado, and chopped green onions for a side and garnish. 

One-pan Shoyu Garlic Glazed Salmon and Veggies

• 2 5 oz. salmon filets which can be fresh or thawed
  • Rice 1 cup or desired amount - I use Jasmine preferably
  • 1 and 1/2 cups your choice vegetables chopped in bite size pieces: I find Brussel sprouts zucchini and peppers make a great pair with this fish!
  • Olive oil or vegetable oil
  • 4 tablespoons shoyu AKA. Soy Sauce Regular is perfect
  • 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic - measure with your heart note: 1 tablespoon is used for veggies
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper
  • A dash black pepper
Maia Damazo Garcia

Begin by preparing your rice, either in a rice cooker or on stovetop. For stovetop, use equal parts of water and washed rice. For 1 cup of rice, boil 1 cup of water and add rice when boiling. Top with the lid and let it cook for 1-2 minutes before reducing heat to low. If needed, stir occasionally.

rice, cereal, salt, risotto

Pre-heat your oven to 425° Fahrenheit. 

Maia Damazo Garcia

Prepare a baking sheet/cookie pan with aluminum foil directly on top. Lightly oil or butter to prevent stick-age. 

Maia Damazo Garcia

Chop your vegetable(s) of choice in bite size pieces.  For example, I chopped my brussel sprouts in half and zucchini in thicker slices. Add these to the side of the pan, making room in the middle for the salmon fillets. 

Maia Damazo Garcia

Using olive oil, lightly coat your veggies and toss with the remaining minced garlic. Add a dash of salt and pepper for extra flavor. Mix thoroughly.

Maia Damazo Garcia

Pat your salmon dry and combine the glaze of shoyu, garlic, and brown sugar. On your baking tray, spread the glaze evenly over the fillets. Rub in with a spoon.

Maia Damazo Garcia

Bake the salmon and veggies for 13-16 minutes, depending on the salmon thickness. If the salmon separates easily when picked with a fork, it's probably done.

Maia Damazo Garcia

Serve hot with a scoop of rice, topped with red pepper. I like pair my dish with avocado slices and green onion. Enjoy!

Maia Damazo Garcia

Hopefully you can enjoy this dish as much as I do if you decide to try it out for yourself.  Don't forget that the thickness of your fillet and size of your veggies could even mean 2-4 minutes of additional cooking time for a better roast.  Happy eating!