Are exams bringing you down? Are the winter blues getting to you? Are you just yearning to be on a warm, tropical island? If so, these vegetarian tacos are sure to bring your spirits back up by magically teleporting you to warm paradise in the middle of July. Okay, these tacos can't actually teleport you to paradise *sigh*, but they can warm you up from the inside out. All you need is some chips and guac to go along, and you'll be on the road to a cozy recovery in no time. 

For a colorful dinner, make them using blue corn taco shells and red, green, and yellow bell peppers. Your mind will be fooled into thinking it's summer with these fresh ingredients, while your body will be thanking you for feeding it healthy, delicious veggies. Whatever time of the year it may be, these vegetarian tacos will surely lighten your mood and make your stomach happy. 

Vegetarian Comfort Tacos with Spicy Yogurt Dipping Sauce

• Total Time:1 hr

• For the tacos:
  • 1 russet potato
  • 1 sweet potato
  • Olive oil for drizzling
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 can sweet corn
  • 1 onion
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • 2 cups shredded cheese preferably parmesan mozzarella asiago or fontina
  • 1 box macaroni and cheese
  • 1 taco kit including 6-12 shells and taco seasoning
  • For the sauce:
  • 1 5.3 oz. container plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup hot sauce
  • Black pepper
Kelly Gresh

Gather all of your ingredients

Kelly Gresh

Cut russet potato and sweet potato into bite-sized chunks, drizzle with olive oil, then roast in the oven at 400° F for 30 minutes. Once finished roasting, take out of the oven and let cool (try not to eat all of the potatoes before they actually go into the tacos).

Kelly Gresh

Chop the red pepper into small pieces (about 1/2-1 inch pieces) and combine with the sweet corn in a bowl.

Kelly Gresh

Chop onion into small pieces (about 1/2 inch pieces) and mince garlic. Then, in a skillet on medium heat, combine both onion and minced garlic, drizzle drizzle with olive oil, and cook for 10-12 mins or until soft. Meanwhile, cook the macaroni and cheese according to package instructions.

Kelly Gresh

Once the roasted potatoes have cooled, smash them with a fork to flatten them.

Kelly Gresh

To the bowl with the red peppers and corn, add the cooked onion mixture, the smashed roasted potatoes, and the taco seasoning from taco kit and mix to combine all ingredients.

Kelly Gresh

Then, in a small bowl, combine the hot sauce and yogurt and season with black pepper.

Kelly Gresh

Finally, make the tacos! First, in a taco shell, spoon about 1-2 Tbsp (or more if you're feelin' it) of mac and cheese evenly on the bottom. Then, add an equal amount of the potato mixture, top with shredded cheese, and drizzle (or smother) with spicy yogurt sauce. Lastly, throw a fiesta with all your friends and enjoy :)

Kelly Gresh

1 russet potato

1 red pepper

2-3 cloves of garlic

1 can sweet corn

2 cups shredded cheese (preferably parmesan, mozzarella, asiago, or fontina)

1 box macaroni and cheese

2 Tbsp butter

For the sauce:

1, 5.3 oz. container of plain yogurt 

1/4 cup hot sauce

Black pepper