Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, especially for college students. I know it's easy to just grab that cup of Starbucks coffee and call it "breakfast," but it certainly doesn't count as a healthy, balanced meal. Ditch the coffee and try adding more protein and vitamins into your breakfast by making this easy vegetarian breakfast casserole. You can make it ahead of time, store it in the fridge, and then bake it that morning, which is convenient and definitely time-saving when you're running late for your 8 am lecture!

I was inspired by Little Spice Jar's veggie-loaded casserole, but I modified it to have simpler steps and fewer ingredients, while still keeping those same tasty flavors. 

I've been making this dish for months and I'm constantly being asked by friends and coworkers to make it, time and time again. Thankfully, I have this recipe pretty much nailed down. Also, it's just that good

Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole

• Total Time:1 hr

• 2 bell peppers - diced
  • 1 onion - diced
  • 6 eggs
  • 8 oz pre-sliced mushrooms
  • 8 oz frozen shredded potatoes - thawed
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Marianne Datu

Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add onions, peppers, and mushrooms to the pan, and saute for 5-7 minutes or until the veggies start to brown. Add salt and pepper for taste.

Marianne Datu

Preheat oven to 375ºF, then generously coat a 10 x 7 or 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Add shredded potatoes to the dish, spreading it all over to cover the bottom and press lightly to make sure it is even.

Marianne Datu

Add veggie mixture to the baking dish to cover the potatoes and spread evenly, then pour the beaten eggs on top.

Marianne Datu

Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the top has browned and the eggs have fully cooked.

Marianne Datu

Cut into sections, and serve it while it's still hot! Save the rest (if there is any) for the next day's breakfast.

Marianne Datu

Amplify the casserole however you would like to. Sometimes I like to play it up with salsa on top or slices of avocado, or I add shredded cheese on top before it goes into the oven. It's entirely up to you, which is why this dish is one of my go-to recipes and a true breakfast favorite!