I'm an avid baker, and I'm always using substitution ingredients to make recipes dairy-free or vegan. This recipe for coffee nut chocolate vegan ice cream sandwiches takes real wholesome ingredients and creates a creamy sweet treat in a few easy steps. No one should have a diet that makes them feel like they are missing out, and these ice cream sandwiches are the perfect way to enjoy a frozen vegan treat this summer. 

My recipe was inspired by a recipe shared by hot for food. This was what gave me the idea to use nuts and coconut as my main substitution ingredients. Due to the fact that there are three layers to make, I've broken down the recipe into three parts. 

Ice Cream Sandwich Crust

• Cook Time:0

• 1 cup almonds
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup figs
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
toffee, caramel, chocolate
Allison Curley

Line a square pan with wax paper.

salt, aspic, fish, ice
    Allison Curley

Using a blender or food processor, add all of the ingredients and pulse until thin crumbs form. Pour into the pan and flatten out along the bottom.

toffee, caramel, cake, chocolate
    Allison Curley

Nuts are a key ingredient for vegan foods, especially in baking. This crust is super crunchy and sweet, which is perfect for the bottom of an ice cream sandwich. It's sturdy for the rest of the ice cream, and blends deliciously with the flavors that are to come. 

Ice Cream Sandwich Filling

• Cook Time:0

• 1 1/2 cups cashews
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons coconut cream
  • 2 teaspoons maple syrup
  • 1 cup vegan coffee ice cream
  • 1 tablespoon water
ice
Allison Curley

Add of the ingredients to a blender for about a minute and then pour into the pan on top of the crust.

flour, fish, cake
    Allison Curley

I absolutely love this filling because it's super creamy and packed with flavor. I used vegan almond milk-based coffee ice cream and on top of that coconut oil and cream in order to really give vegan ice cream lovers that same texture. This filling is just as creamy and tasty as regular dairy ice cream, with just a hint of coffee to cut the sweetness.

Ice Cream Sandwich Topping

• Cook Time:0

• 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • Pinch salt
  • Handful coconut shavings
candy, fudge, chocolate
Allison Curley

Add the ingredients to a large bowl and microwave for 15 seconds. Whisk together until thin and runny.

pudding, candy, sweet, cream, coffee, milk, chocolate
    Allison Curley

Pour over the mixture in the pan and spread evenly across. Garnish with coconut shavings if desired.

cake, chocolate
    Allison Curley

All there is to do now is to freeze the bars for 2-3 hours. When this time has passed, lift up the wax paper and they'll slide right out in that perfect square shape. Cut into pieces and serve to all of your friends. 

cream, ice, peanut butter, brownie, peanut, butter, sandwich, chocolate
Allison Curley

I love all of the natural ingredients that make this recipe really unique and flavorful. It makes vegan ice cream sandwiches that actually taste like the ones you grew up eating. They're not watery, and with all of the goodness inside there's no one flavor that stands out among the others. Except maybe the chocolate, but that's what makes this frozen treat amazing!