It's coming to the end of November, and for anyone who's pledged to go veggie, food inspiration might be starting to wear thin. That's where this vegan curry recipe steps in. It's simple to make, packed with healthy ingredients, and is huge on flavor. Even if your Veggie Pledge goes at the end of November, you'll certainly want this recipe to stay.

Foolproof Vegan Curry

• 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1 large parsnip
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 400 gram tin chickpeas - drained and rinsed
  • 200 gram bag spinach
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 15 halved cardamom pods - or just use the seeds
  • 2 teaspoons heaped cornflour
  • 1 vegetable stock cube crumbled
  • 1 small onion chopped finely optional
Kierri Price

Gather your ingredients together. Heat an inch of water in a saucepan, on a hob turned to a medium heat.

vegetable

Peel and chop the garlic into small pieces, and add to the saucepan (plus chopped onion, if using).

vegetable

Peel the vegetables, and chop into bite-sized pieces.

sweet, candy, vegetable

Add the vegetables to the saucepan, and top up with water to just cover the vegetables.

When boiling, add the turmeric, cardamom, vegetable stock cube, and chickpeas. Stir, and leave to cook for about 15 minutes (until the vegetables begin to feel soft).

soup, vegetable, carrot, broth, potato, pea, legume

Stir the cornflour to a paste with a splash of cold water, then stir into the curry to thicken.

milk, cream, yogurt, pudding, dairy product, dairy, sweet, white sauce, curd

Add the spinach to the saucepan, then cover.

spinach, basil, vegetable, salad, lettuce, herb
    Kierri Price

After 2-3 minutes, stir the wilted spinach into the curry, and serve with rice or naan bread.

soup, vegetable, spinach, potato
    Kierri Price

The great thing about this vegan curry is its versatility. Substitute whichever vegetables you like, and it'll turn out equally tasty. If you want more of a kick to it, try stirring in some chilli flakes or finely diced fresh chili. This also freezes really well, so if you want something healthy you can reheat in a hurry, try making this vegan curry in bulk, and then microwaving a portion when you're in a rush.

#SpoonTip: If you've got a legume allergy, and/or can't eat chickpeas, try using a drained tin of mixed beans instead. Plenty of protein, and still vegan.