Vegan chocolate chip cookies are a twist on a classic dessert that's super easy to make with a few small substitutions. I have always been one to enjoy chocolate chip cookies, but I like them chewy more so than crispy. That means that you have to make them slightly undercooked, which gives them that them super chewy, melt-in-your-mouth taste. 

The best part about making vegan chocolate chip cookies is that the dough is totally dairy-free and egg-free. I can under-bake the cookies or eat the dough raw without any worries. Of course, if you like them crispier you can bake them longer too.  This is a super easy recipe that any vegan (or non-vegan!) can make and enjoy without a second thought. 

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup Crisco or vegetable shortening
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon coconut milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup mini vegan dark chocolate chips
butter, peanut butter, banana, oatmeal, cookie, chocolate
Allison Curley

In a medium bowl, cream together the sugars, Crisco, water, salt, and vanilla.

peanut butter, ice cream, ice, chocolate, cream
    Allison Curley

Add in the baking soda and baking powder with the coconut milk and stir vigorously for 30 seconds. Then, add in the flour slowly in two parts.

Allison Curley

Add the chocolate chips and spoon the finished dough onto a baking sheet.

Allison Curley

Bake at 350°F for 8 minutes until slightly crispy around the edges.

raisin, sweet, cookie, chocolate
    Allison Curley

These vegan chocolate chip cookies are so delicious and taste exactly like any other chocolate chip cookie. They are thin, which I like because they are really light and don't feel too rich. However, they still have that sweet flavor and a really chewy and moist center.

This is a recipe that is great for vegans, because even without eggs these cookies still taste amazing. Dairy is super easy to avoid because of the combination of Enjoy Life chocolate chips, Crisco, and water.

I specifically made this recipe to have a smaller yield because I can never eat 24 cookies myself. 10 or 12 is perfect for a week or two. I highly recommend these cookies for a make-ahead treat that you can keep in your fridge until you have a craving. They are delicious, light, and vegan—not to mention so easy to make.