Vegan chocolate chip cookies: the (non-dairy) crème de la crème of vegan eats.  While veganism isn’t for everyone, one can never go wrong with sweets. And, just as it was in our childhood, the winner goes to chocolate chip cookies. This staple tastes just as good reimagined with a tall glass of almond or soy milk.

Here’s the best vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe outside of the by CHLOE kitchen. Inspired by Vegan Housewives, the cookies are sweet and gooey and wonderful. What makes them even greater? A friend and I added maple syrup and cinnamon. Aaaand, they’re vegan, so they’re basically health food.

The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 1/2 cup coconut butter–we used Nature’s Way Coconut Oil
  • 3/4 cup sugar or 1/2 cup brown sugar ¼ cup Traditional Vermont Maple Syrup
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 cups flour–we used Bob’s Red Mill High Fiber Coconut Flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips–we used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
cookie, chocolate, sweet, cake, pastry
Breffni Neary

Preheat oven to 350° F (something we forgot to do).

Cream the coconut oil and sugar, and once smooth, add the almond milk and vanilla while continuing to mix.

In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder and salt, and whisk until thoroughly mixed.

flour, dough, cereal, wheat, milk, egg, bread

Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients slowly while continuing to mix, and stir until ingredients are combined.

Add the chocolate chips slowly until they are thoroughly mixed in (and eat the pieces that “accidentally” fall into your hands).

coffee, relish, espresso, cereal, chocolate, mocha, cappuccino
    Christin Urso

Take the mixture by tablespoon and roll into individual balls, placing two inches apart on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.

Press down each ball slightly with a spoon.

Place in the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes. We like crunchy edges, so we did 14 minutes.

peanut, peanut butter, chocolate, butter, cookie, cake
    Breffni Neary

Grab a spoon to scrape what was “accidentally” left of the mixture from the bowl. No eggs, so no worry of salmonella (like that’s ever stopped you anyway).

Once the cookies are done–whether you wait for them to cool like mature adults or eat three and burn your tongue like a hungry toddler–your stomach will thank you. The recipe yields 34 cookies (or 36 if you don’t eat the dough). Enjoy!