It can be challenging to find good vegan breakfasts to serve to family and on holidays. After searching near and far for a breakfast bake, I came across this recipe! This vegan breakfast casserole uses chickpea flour, silken tofu, and nutritional yeast to mimic the "cheese" flavor of traditional egg bakes. Although you might not have chickpea flour at home and wonder if you can substitute oat or wheat flour instead, my answer is a firm "no." The bean flour is really important in the coagulation & setting of the bake; substitutions might mean a less firm consistency. 

You can add almost any veggies to this casserole! I love fresh bell peppers, shallots, and garlic but you can also add fun twists like beets, spinach, and chives. If you like alternative meat in your breakfast casserole, I recommend chopping up some  vegan Field Roast or Meatless Farm sausages and adding them to the mix. This recipe can also be made more spicy with the addition of hot sauce, jalapeños, or curry powder. 

Vegan Breakfast Casserole

• 1 16oz pack Silken Tofu
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 cup chickpea flour
  • 1/8 tsp. ground tumeric
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
  • 5 oz frozen tater tots or potato hash
  • 1/2 bell pepper chopped
  • 1/2 shallot chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic chopped
  • 4 oz baby bella mushrooms chopped
spinach, vegetable, omelet, cheese, egg, dairy product, scrambled
Max Bartick

For the "egg" filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a non-stick 9"x9" cooking pan. Add turmeric, nutritional yeast, chickpea flour, silken tofu, salt, and pepper to a high-speed blender. Blend for 45-60 seconds until batter is thick and creamy.

Assembling the bake: Sprinkle hash on the bottom of the baking tray. Layer veggies on top and pour in batter on top. Stir gently to incorporate veggies into batter. Bake for 45 minutes or until firm. 

Storage: Cut and cool before storing in refrigerator. Leftovers can be saved for up to seven days.